Wheelbarrow tire goes flat

Page 1 of 2
I've had to reinflate it a few times already and it's only about 4 years old. Not every time, but it seems like after 6-12 months, it's flat. I'm looking whistfully at Harbor Freight ads for a 10" wheel for $5 (don't know if mine's 10", though!).
It's a Union Made (I think that's the brand), the big one (6 foot?). Is there something I can do to make it not leak? I use one of those plastic valve caps already. Thanks.
Dan

The best way to buy a tire like this is to take it off, bring it in the store, and compare it to theirs.

I've been told to put Slime in the tires for my wheelbarrow and hand truck. These smaller tires, as well as bike tires, do tend to go flat after a few months. They just aren't made to the same standards as car and truck tires.
Personally, I feel it's more trouble to put Slime, or those flat repair canisters, in the tires than to just pump them up now and again. A cheap auto compressor makes short work of it.
Pagan
Pagan wrote: ....

For that small, even the hand bicycle pump is short work... :)

I prefer a FOOT pump,they need less effort than a hand pump.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

If tubeless,I'd put in an inner tube,and if tubed,a NEW inner tube. If tubeless,you could have a dented rim or bad seal on the rim from rust. Dismount tire,sand off any rust or corrosion,paint inside of rim,then remount tire. Others have already mentioned bad valve stem or valve,or buying a new wheel at Home Depot or Harbor Freight(HF may have an odd shaft diameter) I know HF sells a replacement wheelbarrow wheel,I've seen them at the local store.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

unless the bead is not seated...
You will never get past that with a hand or foot pump.
rusty redcloud

Those are just to keep dirt out of the valve stem,not to keep air in.

Even car and truck tires need to be checked periodically;driving with underinflated tires is dangerous and lowers gas mileage.

It's a BITCH to pump the recommended amount of Slime through that tiny valve stem. While you're pumping in Slime,displaced air has to come out,or the Slime is just coming back out.
IMO,that stuff is useless.
Tires naturally leak air out slowly over time.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Dan_Musicant wrote:

Patch the hole? Replace the valve? Fill it w/ neverleak? Fill it w/ air when it needs it?
Dan_Musicant wrote:

There's this: http://tinyurl.com/83oeb
And this, if you want to afford it: http://tinyurl.com/7zgkv
Not sure if the size on either will work for you.
I second the idea to replace it with a solid tire. They absorb shocks pretty well, with standard rubber case, with some kind of polyurethane foam inside. Available at home depot, complete with rim, and standard axle hole. Not cheap, but wonderful never to have to pump it up.

I'd like to find a source for that foam to put in my electric scooter tires(inner tubed),they always go flat,usually at the worst time.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Ours went flat regularly. It was mainly due to building a home in the AZ desert with all its various cactus 'spines'.
I patched the tube about 5X then gave up and bought the new one on sale 50% off at HFT for $ 4.99 A friend said to put green "Slime" (bike and M/C shops have it, perhaps also Walmart) into the tire but I don't know if it works with tube type tires or just tubeless.

Green slime is only effective for a narrow range of small holes. otherwise it just makes a big mess in the wheel when you finally decide to replace the tube.
Take the wheel off, pump it up and submerge it in a bucket of water (may need to overinflate to show it up good)
Such a slow leak might be the valve stem. for less than $1 at a bike store you can get a new valve and a couple bucks more for the tool to get it out.
Makes that $5 wheel sound reasonable though
PipeDown wrote: ....

All it takes is the metal valve stem cap w/ the built-in stem wrench...your friendly <local> tire dealer where you trade regularly (you <do> trade w/ one so you have good relationship w/ him, don't you? :) ) will undoubtedly just give you one...
I have a couple of solid tires on mine. One is rock hard, the other somewhat spongy. You might try one of those.
I use Slime in my ATV tires, and haven't had a flat in four years. Haven't really run over anything that big, either.
I think that sitting in the sun and dryrotting is the biggest enemy of those little tires.
Steve
SteveB wrote:

That's factor, certainly although the one on the barrow here is probably at least 30 years old in SW KS, certainly a hot/dry/moderately high UV environment. The biggest problem here is goatheads....
On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 12:29:32 -0700, "SteveB"
:I have a couple of solid tires on mine. One is rock hard, the other :somewhat spongy. You might try one of those. : :I use Slime in my ATV tires, and haven't had a flat in four years. Haven't :really run over anything that big, either. : :I think that sitting in the sun and dryrotting is the biggest enemy of those :little tires. : :Steve
Well, this one gets kept in the garage. Thanks to everybody who has responded.
Dan
Dan_Musicant wrote:

Put a tube in it.
--