Wheel bearing grease. Another question about the trailer,

Thanks for the help on lock washers versus nylon inserts.

Now on the trailer from Harbor freight that I"m assembling, 990 pounds max load, It says to add greaase with the grease fitting on the inside of the rim, and to fill the axle cap with grease.

It seems to me that if I fill from the grease fitting it will fill the entire space inside the wheel hub, and I don't think I've ever seen that much grease in anything.

What should I do? How do I know when I've put in enough grease?

And do I need to use wheel bearing grease?? on a trailer that weights

250 pounds and which has a max load of 990, but I"ll never use it with more than 200 pound load.

Thanks again.

Reply to
mm

N/A.

Add greaase with the grese fitting on the inside of the rim, and fill the axle cap with grease.

How do I know when I've put in enough grease?

You'll see when you add the grease with the fitting on the inside of the "rim". Then you'll "fill", more or less, the axle cap.

Then, install it.

If you're going to make one trip of maybe 5 miles, and you carry a fire extinguisher, you needn't bother with the grease. More, and you prolly ought to grease it, and regularly.

And check the tire pressures before every use. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

LOL I meant can I use regular grease or do I need wheel bearing grease?? The latter has iirc some stringy things in it, although I don't know what they do.

OK

Reply to
mm

Yes, you need to use wheel bearing grease to grease a wheel bearing. You can find it at any auto parts store. You don't synthetic or anything fancy.. just a plain ol' $2 tube of wheel bearing grease.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

:)

Wheel bearing grease has moisture and heat resistant qualities. It's a pretty tough environment, you'll want to check and grease those axles no less than every 12 months, regardless of use.

You'll be glad you did.

Spring, with the travel-trailering vacationers and boaters (maybe especially boaters), and Fall, with hunters, often result in the shoulders of highways getting a tad crowded with a flurry of trailer tire changing and/or temporary trailer abandonment and/or disappointed travelers.

I'm sure you've seen them.

You have to consider them itty-bitty tires are turning maybe twice as fast as those of the towing vehicle.

And, AFAIK, no light trailer tire is rated for speeds in excess of

65mph, and their life is measured more by time than mileage.

Although there are no licensing or educational requirements, yanking any trailer is serious business. Don't let the size and load of yours lead you to a sense of complacency. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

mm wrote: ...

Depends on what you mean by "regular" grease. A tube grease labeled as "high temperature" or "moly", etc., will be adequate. Read what the label says. Most greases these days will fill the bill, but there are really cheap ones (lots of time they'll be "black" grease) that aren't suitable. Read the application on the tube (did I say that before? :) )

Wheel bearing grease is specifically formulated for the purpose of packing wheel bearings (doh). The "stringy" stuff is moly or some similar formulation to stay in the bearings. It would also, obviously, be fine although you'll find it less common in a cartridge for a grease gun to use on zerk fittings.

Are the bearings prepacked? If not, you'll want to make sure you pack them well to start, not just count on the grease pumped in to get into the bearings.

--

Reply to
dpb

gpsman wrote in news:1396831b-b8e4-4da5-bd21- snipped-for-privacy@t54g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

prolly? Usually used by kids on IM's since spelling "probably" is difficult. But the rest of your post appears mature and informative :-)

Reply to
Red Green