Wheel Barrow handle splinters

Today at someone else house, I got a splinter in my thumb from a wooden handle wheelbarrow. The woman there had got a splinter, also.

I may be back in a few months, or I can contact them by mail. I'm curious some ideas to make the handles safer.

The wheelbarrows are for moving fire wood, in front of a store. They are outdoors all summer. This is in NY state, USA.

I'm thinking coat of polyurethane, wrap in electrical tape, sports tape, the wide stuff with the zigzag edges, spray clear spray paint. Who has this knowledge? Tried and true, please.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

One word: duct tape

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Two words: leather gloves.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

I love this tape, but for wrapping a handle there are smoother tapes that will feel better to grip and I think dirt will stick to the this make it feel worse as time goes on.

Norman, worth buying for sure, but try an inch or two before doing the whole job. It's expensive too, imo.

Reply to
mm

There is specialized tape for baseball bats and such. What about good old fashioned friction tape?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Agree with others about using gloves. If you're loading the wood...you might as well use gloves to protect your "mitts" through the whole process!

Reply to
Bob Villa

Go to a doctor immediately and tell them the pain is so severe that you can not stand it. Request some powerful drugs. Next, contact your attorney and file a law suit against the owner of the wheel barrow. You will be unable to work for at least one year due to the pain, so you should sue for one years salary plus medical costs, and emotional pain. You must not do any work from now on, or you will lose the case in court.

Personally, I'd blame Jesus for this. He's the wicked son of a bitch who caused this by making a defective tree, which was the one used to make the handles. I'd sue Jesus too......

Reply to
jw

To help prevent the splitting to begin with, you might suggest oiling the handles with an outdoor oil each year. I used Watco once a year. I also lightly sanded it in to help generate a smooth surface. I have had very good success with the wooden handles on a tool I left outside all year round. This worked for a long as I oiled the handles. The one year I stopped doing so, it split after about 1 year 3 months.

Good Luck.

Reply to
Baron

and don't forget to vote the Obummer back in so you can continue being a freeloader.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Love the heat-shrink idea. Will have to try it on some of my weather- worn tools.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Not anytime, lately!

There's this invention, probably a few mellenia old, called gloves. Not jes fer yer proctologist to pull yer head outta yer ass.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Sand smooth with a jitterbug and coarse paper, then slather with linseed oil, repeat as wood absorbs oil until it stops absorbing oil.

WARNING: Linseed oil left on rags can spontaneously combust.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Epoxy and smooth the handles, then cover with big fat heatshrink tubing. Tape comes off or becomes a bit messy from the adhesive. Self-fusing tape isn't tough enough to stand up.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Bush 43 did nothing to stem the tide of frivolous lawsuits and abuse of welfare. Bush 41 did nothing to stem the tide of frivolous lawsuits and abuse of welfare. Reagan did nothing to stem the tide of frivolous lawsuits and abuse of welfare.

Frankly, I don't think it'll matter who gets elected.

Reply to
mkirsch1