Whats better, plumbers putty or teflon tape???

Putting a pool filter together. When done with the teflon tape, about 8-10 windings, I get slight leaks where the PVC fitting threads into the valve housing also where the PVC threads into the pump. A hose came off and the pool drained to the skimmer level so I'm going to disasemble and redo the fittings. I bought plumbers putty thinking it may work better??? The guy at the store said to roll it into a snake and wrap around the threads. I didnt like that method so I worked it into the threads all around both the male and female threads. I assembled one fitting and pulled out the putty that was forced out while threading the peices together.
I have a couple of joints to go but was hoping for some expert advice on the proper/best way to make a water tight connection. I wont know if it leaks untill I fill the pool to the proper level and turn on the pump. Then its to late (or at least a pain) to fix.
Thanks for any advice!!!
Steve
There is special white stuff for PVC. Normal putty will make joint stuck forever and pieces can get into pump.

white stuff as in putty? or as in teflon tape? ( tape is white)
steve
Home Depot and lowes will have the white brush on stuuff for PVC threads. Teflon tape may be ok too but I've never thought plastic plus teflon worked that well.

Rectorseal #5. Do not substitute a different brand cuz it may harden (even if it says nonhardening on the label) and you will never get it apart again.
Bob

I always used Teflon tape and plumbers dope. A whitish paste that is used for sealing gas lines. My way not necessarily the only or best way
Plumber's putty is not a thread sealant. 8 or 10 wraps of teflon tape is way too much. Try just 2 or 3 or use a thread sealant, commonly called "pipe dope"
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
<< Plumber's putty is not a thread sealant >>

Just went through that, no matter how much teflon tape I used, the joints leaked. Pipe dope worked fine, especially if there's a plastic to metal connection. RJ

Plumber's putty isn't intended to be used on pipe threads.
Be careful when using pipe dope on PVC that the solvents in the pipe dope don't soften the PVC pipe over time. Most pipe dopes are intended to be used on copper, brass, or steel. They don't dissolve in organic solvents, PVC does.
RB
Steve wrote:

I found a paste in a tube, Thread sealer for PVC pipe. I took apart the one connection I had made with plumbers putty and cleaned it all out. Now I'll try the new stuff.
Thanks for the info.
Steve

Teflon tape will seal, the Teflon cold flows easily under pressure. BUT, too many layers can cause PVC female fitting to crack as the pipe threads (tapered not straight !) tighten down.
PVC "dope" probably the best bet. Or, Use 2 or 3 wraps of tape and you can get good results, snug down carefully and don't back the joint up after tightening.

2-3 turns of Teflon tape starting 1-2 threads from the end, should be plenty, plumbers putty is for sealing around sink rim/counter joints etc., pipe thread dope (e.g. Rector Seal #5), may be the best for the PVC fittings. If you do not EVER need to be able to unscrew them again then use PVC primer (a PVC solvent) and a little PVC cement, but you will need to thread quickly an dcarefilly to get tight enough but not too tight before the cement grabs and/or softens and distorts the the threads too much. I expect you will find pipe thread dope th easiest -- just don't overtighten.