What would you use for this?

I need to make a place for wires to come out of my house from the basement. The wall is brick so I don't want to drill the brick. This is my idea. I greated an insert out of wood to fit into the window (no great loss, it's below grade anyway). Remember that this is a basement window / insert is below grade in a square hole.

Using this insert I will drill a hole and install conduit in this manner:

A horizontal piece inserted through the hole in the insert and extending about 4 inches or so to the outside. A 90 degree elbow attached to this outside end, oriented so it streight up. A streight piece attached to this elbow vertically and long enough to extend above grade about 8 inches or so. Attached to the top of this would be 2 90 degree elbows put together to forn a 180 degree U shape. Thos would be installed on top of the vertical bit upsidedown to keep rain out.

Then the wire would be run through it.

It would look something like:

|------------ | | | | | ___________|

Do they make these preformed? Can I use PVC (Not UV resistant) Use metal pipe (Heavy and overkill for a conduit) Any better ways to do this?

Thanks.

Reply to
coustanis

What type of wires are you planning on having run through the tube? Extension cords will need their ends removed to fit through. NM cable should not be used in locations such as this where they are likely at risk of damage close to the ground.

Reply to
EXT

I was going to use nomex. After it exits the conduit, I was going to run it up the outside of the house in another conduit. It will carry 220v for my generator feed.

Reply to
coustanis