What would you do?

My neighbor came over to ask me, if I could be a little more quiet when I come home. Apparently, he doesn't like the sound of my vehicle coming up the drive, or the garage door opening and closing. I get home about 3 in the morning, I drive a car with a quiet muffler, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with my garage door!

This coming from a guy with a stack of lawnmowers in his back yard, tarps all over the place, plywood laying around. Basically, he has a dump! I know one of the neighbors called the city on him.

Besides holding myself back from punching this idiot in the face, I'm about to join the rest of the neighbors, in an effort to run this jerk out of town.

What would you do?

Reply to
Major D.

Tell him to mind his own business or wear earplugs...

The neighborhood nanny who called the city is an asshole. It's his property and if you don't like seeing it stop looking at it or BUY it...

Go ahead and punch him...He will then OWN your house or come back and shoot you...

Mind my own business....

Reply to
benick

"Major D." wrote in news:fu62eh$vpa$ snipped-for-privacy@aioe.org:

Try and be a little more quiet.

Reply to
Me

I'll second that. You are talking about 3 AM.

Reply to
Bob F

Agreed.

Disagree. The biggest problem arising from a neighbors cluttered yard is rats and other rodents/pests, whish will harbor into other yards. Therefore, IT IS the business of the neighbors to take action before these vermints start damaging their homes. Another problem arising is decreasing property/home value. One home as well as surrounding homes have an impact on a home for sale.

How can he mind his own business when you already told him to tell the neighbor to wear earplugs or mind his own business?

If I had to look at the yard everyday, I would join the others, call the city and have him clean it. You can also tell him when he cleans his yard and keeps it that way or puts up a privacy fence, then you will oil your garage door and buy him some earplugs.

Reply to
SBH

How can he be anymore quiet with a stock exhaust and garage door?

Reply to
SBH

Park down the block.

Jeeze! Why do I have to think of everything?

Reply to
HeyBub

"SBH" wrote in news:a9mdnYkYQp40PZvVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@wideopenwest.com:

I'd suggest the disturbed neighbor buy one of those white noise generators that mask common noises. Sharper Image or other similar companies sell them.

Or just tune a bedside radio to a blank AM station for white noise,set the volume to a low level that lets him sleep,and masks the outside noise. Then he doesn't need earplugs.(and will be able to hear smoke alarms,ringing phones,the morning wake-up alarm...)

If he doesn't like that;well,it's his problem. There's not much else he can do about it.

small waterfalls also make a soothing,irritant-masking low-level noise,and add a nice touch to one's property.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Just treat him the way I treat my nutso ex-wife -- listen to idle rants for a minute or two, and then have a confused look on your face, and then walk away and don't ever reply one way or the other.

Reply to
Em

"Major D." wrote in news:fu62eh$vpa$ snipped-for-privacy@aioe.org:

Buy a Harley and put straight pipes on it.

Based on your description of his consideration for others around him, f* him.

Reply to
Red Green

Ignore him, don't talk about him, say "OK" to him, but don't agitate him either. Try to remember to turn off (or down) your car radio before approaching the house at 3 AM.

Reply to
Phisherman

You have a few options. Change jobs to one with hours that coincide with his sleep time Buy a new car Leave the car in the driveway Offer to soundproof his bedroom windows

My favorite is: Smile, thank him for letting you know of the problem, and then ignore the SOB.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

"Em" wrote in news:4806a577$0$4084$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

That reminds me of a Two and a Half Men episode(CBS) where Charlie says the phrase "I understand." in a sincere voice to everybody's complaints,and totally ignores what the people are saying.It pacifies them,they think they have solved their problem,and they don't realize Charlie is just ignoring them.(even after he explains it to his brother Allen)

It may be the best way for dealing with some people! ;-)

Reply to
Jim Yanik

"HeyBub" wrote in news:lYydnaBGBc6xP5vVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Because you're such a smart ass :-)

Reply to
Red Green

noise,set the

noise.

I use a fan and a white noise machine. I live very close to a Walgreen's, and they mask the noise very well. The only real problem I can see, is that I would never hear someone breaking into my home, however I do have a large dog inside. :-)

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

Phisherman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Hmmm, I was thinking more along the lines of 500W amp and Hendrix's Star Spangled Banner.

Reply to
Red Green

dump! I

LOL, best answer so far.

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:T8yNj.892$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr23.news.prodigy.net:

Build a HIGH solid-wall fence between his house and yours. to "block the noise"... Maybe plant a nice tall hedge,too,if HOA bylaws permit it.

That's about all "Major D" can realistically do about it. The complainer has to solve his sensitivity problem himself.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Jeez, 11 replies and no one seems to realize you live next door to mm.

Come on guys, just a week or 2 ago, stack of lawnmowers, wood on the ground...

Doesn't that ring a bell?

Reply to
Dan Espen

Certainly did. I saw it as soon as I read it. Didn't seem to be germane though.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K