What would make a non-adjustable California lawn mower rev like crazy?

Haven't used the California lawn mower since last season, and, well, after I pulled on the Honda cord a few dozen times with the choke held open, it finally started.

But, then, for the next half hour (as I mowed the lawn), it revved like crazy, way high.
http://youtu.be/fin8sYnbe1Q

http://youtu.be/fin8sYnbe1Q

Looking at the lawn mower, I can't see anything wrong with the cable operation.
http://youtu.be/Vw9OAJsw6vk

http://youtu.be/Vw9OAJsw6vk

The filter is pristine clean (the mower is only one season old). The cable moves smoothly. The choke moves smoothly. There doesn't seem to be any adjustments for the carb.

So, I wonder: What would make the darn thing rev like crazy?
On Thu, 18 Apr 2013 09:00:14 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

pulled on the Honda cord a few dozen times with the choke held open, it finally started.

moves smoothly. The choke moves smoothly. There doesn't seem to be any adjustments for the carb.

Check for debris/critter nests in flywheel housing and around carb. Sounds as if the throttle linkage or governor mechanism is bound up.
--
Mr.E

er I pulled on the Honda cord a few dozen times with the choke held open, i t finally started.

crazy, way high.

ration.

le moves smoothly. The choke moves smoothly. There doesn't seem to be any a djustments for the carb.

Agree with the above.
The cable just changes the spring tension on a governor, it's complicated. I'm guessing the throttle is stuck open, and needs to be wiggled free, and a spot of oil. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
Haven't used the California lawn mower since last season, and, well, after I pulled on the Honda cord a few dozen times with the choke held open, it finally started.

But, then, for the next half hour (as I mowed the lawn), it revved like crazy, way high.
http://youtu.be/fin8sYnbe1Q

http://youtu.be/fin8sYnbe1Q

Looking at the lawn mower, I can't see anything wrong with the cable operation.
http://youtu.be/Vw9OAJsw6vk

http://youtu.be/Vw9OAJsw6vk

The filter is pristine clean (the mower is only one season old). The cable moves smoothly. The choke moves smoothly. There doesn't seem to be any adjustments for the carb.

So, I wonder: What would make the darn thing rev like crazy?

.

d a

r I

.jpg

/12721319.jpg

Maybe it's because he's trying to use a CA lawn mower in another state..... Or maybe one of the 30 warning labels that says this mower uses gasoline and plastics which are known by the state of CA to cause cancer, got stuck in the linkage.

pulled on the Honda cord a few dozen times with the choke held open, it finally started.

moves smoothly. The choke moves smoothly. There doesn't seem to be any adjustments for the carb.

It's not the cable.
I have a mower with the same engine, about ten years old now. Shortly after I got it I added a throttle control, and IIRC I had to take off the filter to install the connection. I put the assembly back incorrectly and I was getting the revving. Once I corrected it (I think a gasket was out of place) it began working correctly.
On Thursday, April 18, 2013 12:00:14 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

If it's less than one year old it's still under warranty and you can take it for service.
Odds are it's just the governor stuck. Need to pull off the shroud and look.
But you probably ruined it by running it like that for 30 minutes.