What would make a non-adjustable California lawn mower rev like crazy?

Haven't used the California lawn mower since last season, and, well, after I pulled on the Honda cord a few dozen times with the choke held open, it finally started.

But, then, for the next half hour (as I mowed the lawn), it revved like crazy, way high.

Looking at the lawn mower, I can't see anything wrong with the cable operation.

The filter is pristine clean (the mower is only one season old). The cable moves smoothly. The choke moves smoothly. There doesn't seem to be any adjustments for the carb.

So, I wonder: What would make the darn thing rev like crazy?

Reply to
subinsilicon

pulled on the Honda cord a few dozen times with the choke held open, it finally started.

way high.

moves smoothly. The choke moves smoothly. There doesn't seem to be any adjustments for the carb.

Check for debris/critter nests in flywheel housing and around carb. Sounds as if the throttle linkage or governor mechanism is bound up.

Reply to
Mr.E

er I pulled on the Honda cord a few dozen times with the choke held open, i t finally started.

crazy, way high.

le moves smoothly. The choke moves smoothly. There doesn't seem to be any a djustments for the carb.

Agree with the above.

Reply to
trader4

But, then, for the next half hour (as I mowed the lawn), it revved like crazy, way high.

Looking at the lawn mower, I can't see anything wrong with the cable operation.

The filter is pristine clean (the mower is only one season old). The cable moves smoothly. The choke moves smoothly. There doesn't seem to be any adjustments for the carb.

So, I wonder: What would make the darn thing rev like crazy?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

/12721319.jpg

Maybe it's because he's trying to use a CA lawn mower in another state..... Or maybe one of the 30 warning labels that says this mower uses gasoline and plastics which are known by the state of CA to cause cancer, got stuck in the linkage.

Reply to
trader4

pulled on the Honda cord a few dozen times with the choke held open, it finally started.

way high.

moves smoothly. The choke moves smoothly. There doesn't seem to be any adjustments for the carb.

It's not the cable.

I have a mower with the same engine, about ten years old now. Shortly after I got it I added a throttle control, and IIRC I had to take off the filter to install the connection. I put the assembly back incorrectly and I was getting the revving. Once I corrected it (I think a gasket was out of place) it began working correctly.

Reply to
sms

If it's less than one year old it's still under warranty and you can take it for service.

Odds are it's just the governor stuck. Need to pull off the shroud and look.

But you probably ruined it by running it like that for 30 minutes.

Reply to
dennisgauge