What would happen if I just bypassed this garden water check valve?

Page 3 of 3
On Fri, 09 Nov 2012 14:22:14 -0800, Oren wrote:

UPDATE: Thanks for all your help & advice! My backflow preventer is now repaired & no longer leaking water. A 15-step pictorial DIY is attached below.
SUMMARY: I found all the parts inside the three valves in excellent condition as you had suggested it would be - but I replaced them all anyway.
The key problem I saw was the #2 check valve was stuck in place due to light-green corrosion inside the brass cap cavity.
Also there was light-green corrosion in all cavities, which I painstakingly wire brushed out - as that was the key issue.
On a scale of 1 to 10, this is an easy 1. No surprises. No special tools. It took me about three hours - one hour for the #1 check valve on the top inlet, another hour for the #2 check valve on the bottom outlet, and another hour for the relief valve on the inlet.
It should take you about a half hour in total - maybe 45 minutes, depending on how well you wish to clean out the green corrosion. I took my sweet time.
Below is a quick DIY with photographs for the $755 1-inch ID Zurn Wilkins 975XL Reduced Pressure Principle Backflow Preventer (http://www.zurn.com/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?NodeKey77206 ) after detailing the 11-piece Wilkins Water Works RK34-975XL $43.20 repair kit (855-663-9876) and assembly instructions.
STEP 0 of 3: Shut inlet & outlet valves & open #2,#3,&#4 test ports STEP 1 of 3: Repair #1 check valve on top inlet STEP 2 of 3: Repair #2 check valve on bottom outlet STEP 3 of 3: Repair relieve valve on side inlet
Here is a step-by-step DIY in 15 annotated photographs:

REFERENCES: Wilkins Zurn 975XL Specification Sheet http://content.zurn.com/web_documents/pdfs/installation/ISSM950.pdf http://content.zurn.com/web_documents/pdfs/specsheets/BF-975XL (lg).pdf
Wilkins Zurn 975XL Maintenance Sheet http://content.zurn.com/web_documents/pdfs/installation/ISSM950.pdf
On 11/6/2012 10:27 AM, Danny D. wrote:

I don't know where you are, but here we take them off in the winter months. We have coaches who run out to turn water on after our plumbers have blown down the lines for the winter. Lots of broken pipe after a good freeze. Just seems to work out better to undo the 2 unions and put the back flow preventer indoors.
--

Keep the whole world singing . . .