What would happen if I just bypassed this garden water check valve?

Page 2 of 3
On Tue, 06 Nov 2012 07:19:28 -0800, rlz wrote:

OK. I don't disagree. It's there for a reason. I'm going to try to understand the thing and then repair it.
BTW, I can't tell if it's a 1" or a 1.5 inch opening because it clearly has a "1" stamped on each opening but it's just as clearly got a >1" pipe going in and out.
Here, for example, is a ruler next to the pipe and a yellow circle around the 1. LARGE:
SMALL:

Notice the pipe is actually about 1 3/8ths in diameter, so it's neither 1 inch nor 1.5 inch.
Q: What size would you say this Wilkins Zurn 975XL actually fits?

You do realize that pipe is not really measured like it is called ? That is what is called one inch pipe will actually measuer about 1.3 inches outside diameter with a ruler.
http://www.pipemarkers.com/pipe-data.php
This is a pipe chart for sizes.
On Tue, 06 Nov 2012 12:08:56 -0500, Ralph Mowery wrote:

I do now!
Thanks.
Jumping in late but just so you know...
Plumbers are odd folks compared to carpenters. A carpenter wants to know how big a hole to drill for the pipe to fit through. The plumber measures the inside diameter to know how much water he can get to flow through it.
I've had many a weekend warrior insist the 1/2" pipe he has in his hand is really 3/4" and he is right as far as the size hole he needs to drill in the joist but not as far as what should be on the label of the fittings he needs. Let's face it, all the labels in my and every other store can not be wrong so the way you look at it needs to be adjusted.

On Saturday, July 19, 2014 3:05:29 AM UTC-7, Krazy Old Man wrote:

the

be

<snip>
I've also had instances of them wondering why a 1/2" socket doesn't fit the ir 1/2" bolt. Best one was my neighbor who was building a two story additi on. Stopped by and asked if it would rip several 1X4 in half to use as win dow casings. I did as asked. He showed back up complaining they were too narrow. I suspect he didn't believe my explanation that a 1x4 is only aobut 3 1/2" wide - bet he checked hat the lumber yard :).
Of course he was a 'country boy' but scoffed when I told him he needed to f ence off that row of young trees he had just planted as his cows would eat them if he didn't. He didn't and they did :).
Harry K

It is measured exactly as it's called, by INSIDE diameter.

Not EXACTLY.. It depends on the thickness of the pipe. Schedule 40 pipe is 1.049 inches inside, and sched 80 is .957 inches inside.
Pipe is the same outside diameter so it will all thread together for the same size. Some pipe has thicker walls than others so the only way to go is to make the inside diameter smaller.
Again look at the chart.
http://www.pipemarkers.com/pipe-data.php
Danny D. wrote:

Wrong place. Measure at the pipe into the check valve. Actually, it doesn't much matter...get the size check valve necessary - I'd think 1 1/2" would be very generous - and use pipe fittings as needed to marry it to the pipe. Do you plan to keep the shutoff valves?
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On Tue, 06 Nov 2012 13:46:34 -0500, dadiOH wrote:

I ordered the repair kit - so I'm just waiting for it to arrive.
Danny D. wrote:

I have no idea. Best guess is for attaching pipes, no idea why you would want to. I also have no idea why there are fore and aft valves.
I do see what appears to be a clean out fitting (two, actually). If it were me I'd open them up and see if some gunk was keeping the valve open. If you replace it, all you really need to know is the pipe sizes to which the new check valve will attach. You will probably have to do some pipe fitting too - nipple & coupling at least - as it is not likely a new one will fit lengthwise properly. Cheapest check valves are PVC; brass is both better and pricier.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On Tue, 06 Nov 2012 07:30:05 -0500, dadiOH wrote:

I just got off the phone with Wilkins Zurn Technical Support (aka Wilkins Water Works) at 1-855-663-9876
A new one is over seven hundred dollars.
So, while it may be easy to say to buy one, I would think a home repair is in order here.
Luckily, they make a 'repair kit', with instructions:
http://www.zurn.com/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?NodeKey77206 Wilkins Waterworks 975XL Repair Kit List Price: $55 Wilkins Waterworks 975XL Repair Kit List Price: $755
I called Technical Support again: 1-855-663-9876x2x4 and I detail the answers so the NEXT person with a similar question can find the answers more easily.
Zurn Wilkins (they don't call it Wilkins Zurn) tech support confirmed the (1) indicates it's a 1-inch fitting even though the OD of the pipe going in is clearly (much) greater than one inch in diameter.
They told me to look for an additional (1") on the body and lo and behold, there it is (see this picture):

They only sell one repair kit which is the RK34-975XL $43.20 (fits 3/4" and 1")
This repair kit comes with the thicker upper check valve spring, the thinner lower check valve spring, 3 o-rings, 3 seals, etc., and as such is a "complete" repair kit.
They said that Furgeson Enterprises sells them: http://www.ferguson.com
So, I think we have our solution!

Yeah, thanks, Donna.
On Tue, 06 Nov 2012 08:39:03 -0800, Smitty Two wrote:
On Tue, 06 Nov 2012 16:27:33 +0000, Danny D. wrote:

I got a call that my repair kit is in so I'll snap a photo of it when I pick it up and let you guys know how it works out.
On Thu, 08 Nov 2012 15:13:06 +0000, Danny D. wrote:

Here is the Zurn Wilkins 950-XL backflow preventer repair kit.
Hard to believe I paid fifty bucks for two springs and a couple of o-rings! :)

You didn't. You paid $1 for the parts and $49 to the company for the considerable effort of making them available to you. The same ratio probably applies to a bottle of dish soap.

Well, you could make the springs yourself.
On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 15:27:44 -0500, krw wrote:

We probably could second source the springs and o-rings in a second. Or just refurbish the set.
I hope to get to this project this weekend so as to be able to report back with pictures of the job.
Meanwhile, I'm waiting on parts for my other projects lined up!
On 11/8/2012 7:42 PM, Danny D. wrote:

I have a similar check valve, which I hate, since it tends to leak. When it does leak, I take it apart, clean it out without replacing parts, and wait until it leaks again.
On Fri, 09 Nov 2012 14:22:14 -0800, Oren wrote:

I'll let you know when I take it apart, hopefully this weekend!