What would be a decent set of 'loaner-tools'?

Hitachi, it's fairly decent considering it's 1/5 the price. I also bought a couple of their $20 cordless drills. Those were overpriced. ;-)
--
Keith

My Harbor Freight jigsaw,a clone of a Bosch 1581,works great,for $60USD,$100 less than a real Bosch. If I were a contractor or heavy user,I'd buy Bosch,though.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I'll have to look at it. Thanks.

There was a contractor in one of the groups who bought HF power tools because he was tired of his expensive stuff getting stolen. They were throwaways and no one wanted to steal them anyway.
--
Keith

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Well, I appreciate the generosity, but you're just setting yourself up by buying "throwaway" loaner tools. What happens when your loaner 1/2" socket wrench goes missing? Ar you going to replace it with another one so someone can borrow it? That's a fun merry-go-round to ride on. Say your 1/2" loaner socket is MIA, and you haven't gotten around to replacing it yet - do you think the guy who's looking to borrow it, and not finding it in the loaner set, isn't going to ask to borrow the good one? That would imply a conscience, and guys who steal...errrr....borrow tools and don't return them don't have a conscience you can rely on.
Lots of luck with it. You'll need it.
If the tools started disappearing regularly, I would shut the operation down and start being the a$$hole who doesn't help out a neighbor.
I figure over 15-20 years, a few tools will evaporate... I wouldn't let the same neighbor keep borrowing if they keep losing them...
We will see, perhaps neighbors aren't worth the trouble anymore, and I should just be a hermit.
It seems like you have excellent intentions....
How about this....
put up a little pegboard. Have the names or street numbers of the neighbors. When they borrow something put the item on a 3x5 card so that they know you consider the tools to be valuable.
THEN - If a tool gets lost - like the current situation, you just go and buy a replacement at full price for that tool and put the receipt up with the name of the borrower.
THEN if they come back to borrow something else, you go to their name and - the bill will be there - if they pay the full price then they can borrow again...
In the past there have been computer simulations of various stratgies for "getting along". I seem to remember two strategies doing well- 1) TIT for TAT (which is what I described above) and 2) TIT for TWO TATs - which did slightly better in the simulations (you give the person a second chance...)
I think you need to establish that YOU value your tools -
good luck and report back! Phil
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in

If you want to loan out your tools,ask for something like their driver's license,major credit card,or auto title first. Something they are not going to want to do without. They get it back when the tool is returned,*in good condition*.
(I know guys who can ruin a drill bit in one use,and can overheat a corded drill to the point it stops working)
Buying an extra set of tools for loaning out is nuts. If you don't trust them with your tools,don't loan them out.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com, 12/19/2005,6:06:35 PM, wrote:

Your neighbor misplaced one tool and now you want to buy a set of tools so you can loan those out? Does this neighbor have a history of not giving back tools? If so, then he cannot be trusted with your dog or mail either. If this is a rare occassion then you are being awfully tough on this fellow. Why not just forgive him and let it go this time? The next time he wants to borrow a tool joke with him about giving his car keys to you for collateral. He'll get the message and will either change his mind or be extra careful with it.
--
"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the
support of Paul." ~ George Bernard Shaw

Joke,hell,no. No keys,no tool loan. Although there's still the matter of getting it back *in good condition*,IOW,working.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

You cut out the main point I was making: "He'll get the message and will either change his mind or be extra careful with it."

Some people NEVER get the message,or deliberately ignore it.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Radio Control Aircraft/Paintball Physics/Paintball for 40+ http://home.comcast.net/~dyrgcmn /

also,the "no more borrowing" category,AFAI'm concerned.
A guy I worked with,I knew he was a tool abuser,and he wanted to borrow my personal set of small taps and dies.I showed him where the shop set was,and a few minutes later,he had broken off the tap in the workpiece.So,he puts the broken piece back in the case,and does not bother to tell the shipping clerk (with the company credit card) to buy a replacement.The next time,there was no tap for him to use,and he comes back to me. I told him he should have bought a new one when he broke the last one,and asked him why he put the BROKEN piece back in the box. (I kept some of my own tools because of this guy and another who didn't put them back where they belonged,and/or abused them to the point of uselessness.Of course,they had a "problem" with that,I wasn't a "team player",etc.The usual whiny PC BS.)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

The HF tools will be fine (Pittsburgh brand I believe, lifetime warranty). That's what I get for tool rolls for my vehicles. Cheap when I lose them in the mud and snow (I do a lot of 4 wheeling) and I have yet to break one. My philosophy on HF is this: If it's got a plug on it, don't buy it (although their Central Machinery stuff is pretty decent....stay away from Chicago Electric). I've found their pneumatics to work just fine and be a fraction of the cost of the Senco's, etc.... For $30, you could come up with a pretty good set of "loaner" handtools.... Cheers, cc
Thanks, I will check out the Pittsburgh brand.
I mentioned neighbors, but I also have 3 brother-in-laws who I think have a couple screwdrivers and a handful of sockets (but no socket wrench) between them, sigh.....

sets for them for Xmas. The $150 bucks for the wally world or sams clubs sets will be worth it in goodwill and dinner invites from your sisters.
The good tools I keep in the house. The 'disposable' tools go in the trunk of the car for road trips. Haven't got the garage set up yet, since I just moved in six months ago, but I don't think good tools, the small ones at least, will be out there unless I can get the humidity under control. Even if they do, they will be in a box, not on a pegboard, since the work is usually elsewhere.
aem sends...
Be their handyman at $25 an hour, including your tools which you bring home at the end of the day.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
If you have money to buy tools, then they must! On 19 Dec 2005 15:06:35 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

our cat. He always brings it back)
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

when you hand someone a tool, just tellem I WANT THE MUTHERFUCKER BACK, OR I'M GOING TO TAKE IT OUT OF YOUR ASS!