What works better than CLR on calcium/lime deposits? (2023 Update)

I've never found CLR to work that great on heavier deposits of mineral buildup. What's better?

Reply to
Doc

Muriatic acid / hydrochloric acid has worked for me.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

What are you trying to clean?

Reply to
Danny D

Ya...let's go with the shotgun instead of the flyswatter!

Reply to
Bob_Villa

After reading about, and then trying, readily available pool grade muriatic acid; I'm convinced the only way to go!

About $5 per gal at HD, beats CLR which was like nothing, a total waste of time and money

Muriatic acid was intantly, then didn't have to do again for about a month. Keeps everything looking like new.

Reply to
Robert Macy

Muriatic acid is hydrochloric acid at about a 25% concentration.

Any janitorial supply store will sell GELLED hydrochloric acid at a 12 to 17 percent concentration for cleaning toilets. Just ask for a hydrochloric acid based toilet bowl cleaner.

The toilet bowl cleaner will come in a quart size bottle and the fact that it's gelled will make it stick better to smooth and vertical surfaces. It'll take longer to work because it's half the strength, but it's also not quite as hazardous to work with.

Reply to
nestork

Give Lemi-Shine a try. Available at most grocery stores on the dishwasher detergent isle.

It's basically citric acid ~$4 per pkg (10 oz)

I use it to remove & control hard water deposits in dishwashers. And as an occasional rinise (~1 month) aid.

Be forewarned.... it will remove (over time) artwork on some glassware or coffee cups. :( More aggressive than CLR less than pool acid.

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK

At the moment the mineral buildup on the bottom of a dishwasher but as a rule I don't find CLR to work that well.

Reply to
Doc

Run the dishwasher empty a few times with LemiShine.

Reply to
DD_BobK

Try "LemiShine" for Washing Machines, Dishwashers, Disposals. I don't know what is in it as I don't see an ingredient list. My dishwasher was really cruddy and nothing I tried including the real TSP wouldn't touch it. One dose of lemishine and it was showroom clean. Wal Mart had it in their cleaners section. Small boxbox

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Muratic Acid for swimming pools....INSTANT FIX

Reply to
stevebcozycafe

Was wondering if anyone has ideas for getting rid of either calcium or lime light staining on timber decking outside from bore water?

Reply to
tsvprofessionals.com

i need to clean my toilet to flush better,it also has a water saver ring ,g ood for the pocket but not the flushing anymore.i was considering trying cl r but am wondering about the muriatic and hydrochloric acids.i'll probably have to worry about replacing fill valve and seals afterward but am more co ncerned about the fumes..what do you think?

Reply to
Mikerosco2004

A commercial ice maker

Reply to
Gordon Vickery

On Thu, 1 Apr 2021 20:15:02 +0000, Gordon Vickery posted for all of us to digest...

Probably what a parts store or the manufacturers recommend. Don't they have a cycle they have to be put through and then rinsed several times? Ice is a food.

Reply to
Tekkie©

Brown stains from Bottom of tub. Stained while plumbers did a test run while building our house. Water supply is from a well. standing water was left in the tub.

Reply to
Fulmer13

White vinegar .

Reply to