What works better than CLR on calcium/lime deposits?

I've never found CLR to work that great on heavier deposits of mineral buildup. What's better?
Muriatic acid / hydrochloric acid has worked for me.
. Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
I've never found CLR to work that great on heavier deposits of mineral buildup. What's better?

On Sat, 11 May 2013 06:46:35 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

What are you trying to clean?

At the moment the mineral buildup on the bottom of a dishwasher but as a rule I don't find CLR to work that well.

Run the dishwasher empty a few times with LemiShine.

Try "LemiShine" for Washing Machines, Dishwashers, Disposals. I don't know what is in it as I don't see an ingredient list. My dishwasher was really cruddy and nothing I tried including the real TSP wouldn't touch it. One dose of lemishine and it was showroom clean. Wal Mart had it in their cleaners section. Small boxbox
Harry K
On Saturday, May 11, 2013 5:46:35 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Ya...let's go with the shotgun instead of the flyswatter!

After reading about, and then trying, readily available pool grade muriatic acid; I'm convinced the only way to go!
About $5 per gal at HD, beats CLR which was like nothing, a total waste of time and money
Muriatic acid was intantly, then didn't have to do again for about a month. Keeps everything looking like new.
Muriatic acid is hydrochloric acid at about a 25% concentration.
Any janitorial supply store will sell GELLED hydrochloric acid at a 12 to 17 percent concentration for cleaning toilets. Just ask for a hydrochloric acid based toilet bowl cleaner.
The toilet bowl cleaner will come in a quart size bottle and the fact that it's gelled will make it stick better to smooth and vertical surfaces. It'll take longer to work because it's half the strength, but it's also not quite as hazardous to work with.
--
nestork

Give Lemi-Shine a try. Available at most grocery stores on the dishwasher detergent isle.
It's basically citric acid ~$4 per pkg (10 oz)
I use it to remove & control hard water deposits in dishwashers. And as an occasional rinise (~1 month) aid.
Be forewarned.... it will remove (over time) artwork on some glassware or coffee cups. :( More aggressive than CLR less than pool acid.
http://www.lemishine.com/
cheers Bob