What will rejuvenate markers?

I seem to recall reading somewhere that dipping dried out magic markers in toluene will work, but can't seem to find it in the local hardware stores, though I thought I've seen it in the past.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Reply to
Doc

How do I get on that list. Then I could keep the candy for myself (g).

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

If I recall correctly, toluene was eliminated from bottles of correction fluid because kids were using it as an inhalant to get high.

How do we know that's not what you were planning to do? I've added your name to our database of potential drug abusers. You won't be getting any trick-or-treaters tonight! :-)

Reply to
Mark Thorson

Paint department. Read the labels of cleaners, strippers and thinners.

Reply to
DonC

Correction fluid was used by supervisors to correct errors on the monitor. One person that had a money connection to correction fluid was in prison. It became water based later.. banned for employees.

-- Oren

Oren

Doc wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@y27g2000pre.googlegroups.com:

denatured alcohol.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

CRT or LCD? Blonde supervisors?

Reply to
lee h

Once in a great, great while - plain water might help - for about 5 minutes at least. As JimL says, the best solution is to buy a new one. I like the Prismacolor Premier because of the huge selection of colors - art stores and Staples.

Reply to
Harry Blanchard

The markers they sell now smell more of xylene (xylol) than toluene. If the marker is dry you should be able to wick some solvent by dipping the tip in a shallow pool of xylene in the bottom of a jar, sealing, and leaving it for a few hours. When the solvent starts to color from the ink, you are done.

This won't get much solvent into the pen, and expect it to dry out soon. Drilling a tiny hole (watch for sparks!) and injecting the solvent with a syringe might work. Seal the hole with a small sheet metal screw. Tape won't stick for long.

See? Isn't it better to buy fresh markers?

Dangerous Bill

Reply to
Bill Penrose

I advise you to buy a new one.it's not expensive,isn't it?

Reply to
Floyd-CN