what were those little electrical switches called?

They were little 1" x 3/4" (approximately) switches that you slipped into a metal bracket and used a small blade screwdriver to bend a retaining tab into the frame of the switch. I have one wall outlet, with 3 of those little switches. don't think they are made anymore and it would be a pain to change them out to newer.

But...reason I'm searching is I need a brass switch plate to cover them. the standard 4.5" x 2.75" plate with those 3 little holes. The plate would be mounted horizontally, the 3 switches would be vertical.

I've searched the fancy cover plate sites with no joy.

All the covers in the house are shiny brass except for this old cheap plastic cover that customer wants to replace.

Reply to
FireBrick

They were called "Despard" they are still available. WW

Reply to
Warren Weber

They're called "Despard" switches, and they are still made. As far as I know, Menards is the only one of the major home center stores to carry them. You might try at Ace or TrueValue hardware stores, or search online.

Reply to
Doug Miller

They were and still are called Menard switches.

PanHandler

Now you can get a "Decora" unit with 3 switches in a single yoke.

Reply to
gfretwell

You can still get them. Try an ACE Hardware, or Menards. Both have them. I have used them, the switches and pilot lights are good, the outlets were only 2 prong and I dont see where a ground prong ccould be put. But yes, you can still get them.

Even though I used them, I never knew what they were called.

PS. Electrical supply houses might be another source, including the online ones.

Mark

Reply to
maradcliff

Menard switches ????? You're joking !!! Unless you buy them at Menards, right? They are not called that on the web link you posted.

Reply to
maradcliff

Reply to
NoSpam99989

I should have added that there are switches and pilot lights and other devices that fin any three per gang.

Googling for despard brass plate gives 810 hits including the only

is a solid brass plate. This is the only link I followed, but I am sure there are other sources too.

Reply to
NoSpam99989

That's what I did when I had some of those little switches that I needed to replace. I found them at the local Lowe's. You can get either a double or a triple switch. These are one piece with one terminal common for all switches.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

LOL - My keyboard read my mind wrong.

Reply to
PanHandler

I've found that adding shipping to the google is a good way to find pages that sell things.

mm

Thank you once I found out they were called Despard Switches, I found a vendor of the proper plates online.

Reply to
FireBrick