What we need is a better solution to the CARB/EPA gasoline can bung hole threaded neck problem

dpb wrote, on Mon, 15 Sep 2014 17:24:12 -0500:

And a boat is a *lot* safer in port, so, let's never put it out to sea, for the fear of it all.

Reply to
Danny D.

My 182-foot boat spent most of its time at sea, but all three times it caught fire, it was in port. Still, if I had a boat that was full of gas cans that sometimes leaked, I'd never put to sea, for the fear of it all. :)

Reply to
J Burns

J Burns wrote, on Tue, 16 Sep 2014 03:00:34 -0400:

Yours probably runs on diesel, right? So, it's a vastly different equation with respect to explosions, isn't it?

Reply to
Danny D.

Two Cooper Bessemer GND-8's, 6352 cubic inches each.

Now you're talking! Get your wife a diesel!

They didn't like to see us in port refueling, so they remodeled the boat. They made the tanks so big that we had to take turns getting dressed in the berthing areas. Pulling on a pair of pants wasn't so bad, but I guy needs elbow room to put a shirt on.

We had a couple of portable 250 gpm pumps that ran on gasoline. It was kept in strong steel cans. At sea, it's better to have a hole in the hull than a fire.

Reply to
J Burns

J Burns wrote, on Tue, 16 Sep 2014 17:09:05 -0400:

This is the kind of stuff men learn when they put out to sea!

Reply to
Danny D.

From the page referenced in the URL above: "PART # B3 Solid base cap Black, solid cap for tank storage or transportation. Black cap is fine thread and typically fits older Briggs and Stratton, Rubbermaid, essence, and Gott cans."

Note the word, "older".

My guess is that they won't fit the -newer- plastic cans such as Danny is referring to.

Reply to
John Albert