What we need is a better solution to the CARB/EPA gasoline can bung hole threaded neck problem

Page 4 of 4
On 09/15/2014 3:30 PM, Danny D. wrote: ...

I'd not worry (much, anyway) about spontaneous combusting, either. The real hazard is the accident while it's there--that'd at least have pretty decent odds of becoming exciting in a hurry.

dpb wrote, on Mon, 15 Sep 2014 17:24:12 -0500:

And a boat is a *lot* safer in port, so, let's never put it out to sea, for the fear of it all.
On 9/15/14, 9:15 PM, Danny D. wrote:

caught fire, it was in port. Still, if I had a boat that was full of gas cans that sometimes leaked, I'd never put to sea, for the fear of it all. :)
J Burns wrote, on Tue, 16 Sep 2014 03:00:34 -0400:

Yours probably runs on diesel, right? So, it's a vastly different equation with respect to explosions, isn't it?
On 9/16/14, 12:12 PM, Danny D. wrote:

Two Cooper Bessemer GND-8's, 6352 cubic inches each.

They didn't like to see us in port refueling, so they remodeled the boat. They made the tanks so big that we had to take turns getting dressed in the berthing areas. Pulling on a pair of pants wasn't so bad, but I guy needs elbow room to put a shirt on.
We had a couple of portable 250 gpm pumps that ran on gasoline. It was kept in strong steel cans. At sea, it's better to have a hole in the hull than a fire.
J Burns wrote, on Tue, 16 Sep 2014 17:09:05 -0400:

This is the kind of stuff men learn when they put out to sea!