What Was The Plumber Doing On The Roof?

Few years ago, the basement bathroom tub and "sanitary" tub in the laundry room were clogged. I saw the plumber clear the bathroom tub clog with a snake. Didn't see how he cleared the laundry tub but he spent some time on the roof.

Now the basement bathroom sink needs to be unclogged. I was thinking about snaking it.

Do I have to get on the roof first, and, if so, what procedures should be followed? Thanks again for your help.

Reply to
Murriel

"Sometimes" it is easier to access & clear a clog by snaking down through the roof vent.

However, in 40+ years of heavy DIY'ing I've only had to do the roof vent snake entry twice.

For a sink, I'd check the pop-up first, then the trap .......if that didn't fix the problem, next I'd remove the trap and snake through the wall access.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

snaking the vent

Reply to
Mac Cool

Climb up on the roof, walk to the highest point near an edge, and jump as high and as far as you can. Try to land on your head, as it will cushion the blow...

All properly-installed drains are vented through the roof of the house. Vents let air into the system so the water drains smoothly. Otherwise you would get a glug-glug-glug, and the drains would clog much easier. The plumber was making sure the vent was clear.

Reply to
mkirsch1

I used to use water pressure to unclog drains when I had apartments. Just stick a hose in the drain, pack a wet face cloth around the hose plugging the drain, apply pressure and turn on the water. Blows the clog out every time.

Reply to
Claude Hopper

depends on the situation. did the person with the clog owe the plumber money? I have known of plumbers that would drop a tethered plug down the vent stack on over due accounts. When they complained, then he demanded payment. When the payment was made, the plug was pulled up and the problem went away.. hhmmmmmmmmmmm.... think this could be the situation??

Steve Barker DLT

You forgot to mention sealing any overfill holes in a sink with another wet rag when doing that.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Makes me wonder what similar trick a doctor might pull on a slow paying patient.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

That should be understood, no need to explain. You are covering the overflow drain slots with the rag or face cloth. The hose tip is past the slots. What moron would be blowing water out the overflow?

Reply to
Claude Hopper

Someone who isn't as familiar as you and I are about the construction of typical bathroom sinks.

Telling that person to cover the overflow holes could avoid their having to mop up the area after that "blowing water" you described flies all over the place.

Peace,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia