What use is WiFi on a Costco Viso TV?

Page 3 of 5
On 9/3/2015 10:27 PM, Fake ID wrote:

On 9/3/2015 10:38 AM, Michael Black wrote:

Ya, so now you get to wait for it to boot up every time you turn it on.
Mikek

If I turn on my TV and computer at the same time, the TV barely beats the computer at booting. It takes 17.86 seconds for the picture/sound to show up for the TV.
On Fri, 04 Sep 2015 08:00:11 -0500, Vic Smith

BTW, that's a hard-wired HD TV attached to a basic cable box not providing HD.

It takes about as long as it used to take for a CRT to warm up. My dumb Samsung takes almost as long as the smart one so there is a processor in there too.
alt.home.repair:

No, you don't. You just need an interface that will display Youtube content. It's included with a smart TV.

That's all included in your smart TV.

Yes.

I assume it's some customized version of Linux, but it doesn't matter unless you're planning to hack it. Normally you're given a user interface that will allow you access to the features built into the smart TV, which will include apps to access Internet content providers like Youtube, Hulu, Amazon, Netflix, and others. It may also include some games and other miscellaneous stuff. It may even include a web browser (mine does, but it works poorly.)
In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 03 Sep 2015 17:33:08 -0400, Nil

So what do you have that works poorl?. I was particularly interested in having a browser (more than having Netflix.) so I want to avoid what you have, if any other browser works better, that is.
--

Stumpy Strumpet
the bimbus

I don't know what it's called, it's just whatever was included with my Samsung TV. It's deadly slow slow slow, and navigation with the TV remote is painful. I tried hooking up a USB keyboard, but it didn't work and I haven't bothered to try to troubleshoot it, since it's nothing I'm interested in using. If I want to browse the web I'll just use one of the several other computer devices in the house.
In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 03 Sep 2015 18:36:31 -0400, Nil

Okay, I can remember Samsung. Thanks.

--

Stumpy Strumpet
the bimbus
On 9/3/2015 7:01 PM, micky wrote:

I have a Sony, and it's slow too!

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 4 Sep 2015 07:47:23 -0500, amdx

Okay. I can remember that too. But I'm getting discouraged.
I think I should follow Mark Lloyd's advice in next thread about using wires when one can.
So I think I'll just get a USB active extension cord and a keyboard/mouse to plug into it;, and an AV balun with cat6 to connect the computer to the DVDR

--

Stumpy Strumpet
the bimbus
On Fri, 04 Sep 2015 18:03:13 -0400, micky wrote:

Do I understand the situation correctly that the WiFi enabled TVs are dog slow, for example, at browsing, because of two fundamental flaws?
1. The CPUs are slow, and, 2. Using a remote to type URLs is slow.
You can't fix the CPU processing power. But, can you simply add a standard bluetooth keyboard?
Ewald Böhm wrote:

Don't think blue tooth is not on the TV. I have an AMD A10 laptop dedicated as HTPC. Laptop connects to AC2600 router on 5GHz. My down load speed is 50mbps solid. No problem even real time streaming 1080P,4K UHD, 3D videos. Native 4K material is rare but A/V receiver upscale to 4K on 4K 60" set. Our HT is 7.1 set up. Biggest I could afford for the family room space. For storage I have small 4 bay Synology NAS with 4x2TB WD Red drives.(not powerful enough for some codec)
In sci.electronics.repair, on Sat, 5 Sep 2015 04:43:38 +0000 (UTC),

I don't have a new tv.

Thanks but won't work for me. You've come in in the middle of the story, Not worth repeating it.
micky wrote:

Micky, B4 asking whole bunch of questions, you ought to search for your answers on the 'net. Specially Youtube gives lots of visual demos. Be specific when you have questions. Like telling us what you have and what you are trying to do and what problem you are running into or something you don't understand. As far as TV set goes, we're in HDTV era and HDMI cable takes care of a/v hook ups. When you mention WiFi, then do you at least have a router for your home network in your home?
On Saturday, September 5, 2015 at 12:43:43 AM UTC-4, Ewald Böhm wrote:

A video is worth a 1000 posts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXcl5bVUAwY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v
7EJTM5ydY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_4E9DtMNI0

You can determine if you think they are really dog slow or not.
On 9/4/2015 5:03 PM, micky wrote:

Nothing to do with wires, just turning on the tv to watch, it takes to to boot, and you must wait in order to change the channel. Mikek before
In sci.electronics.repair, on Sat, 5 Sep 2015 12:12:45 -0500, amdx

That's bad too. I hate my smart phone because it takes so long to turn on, and 5 steps to turn off. The "bar" phone I used to use turned on or off in a second or two.
My Philips DVDR, which does it's main job very well but has a bunch of design flaws, takes noticeably longer to change channels than does the Zenith set-top box.
On Thu, 03 Sep 2015 18:36:31 -0400, Nil

There is a screen that sets up the USB keyboard somewhere. I have one hooked up and it worked pretty good for a while but after an "upgrade" it stopped. I have not bothered to get it going again.
On Thu, 03 Sep 2015 18:36:31 -0400, Nil wrote:

I went over to a friend's house who had a new samsung wifi tv and the browsing was so slow that I'd say it's unusable for two reasons: 1. Typing the URL with the remote was punitive, and, 2. Once you had the URL, the time to load was interminable.
This might just be a bad Samsung TV, but, wow. It's great for checkboxes but it doesn't work in real time.