What up with my garage door opener?

I have a 3 year old Sears 1/2 hp chain drive opener. It has worked fine until last night.

Last night three things happened.

1) We lost power twice for about 30 seconds each time 2) It got down to 5 degrees; about the coldest it has been for a long time. 3) The wall switch on my GDO stopped working; the light on the switch was out, but the remote switches worked normally.

About an hour latter the light was back on, and the switches worked. This morning they were out again, but now they are okay again.

I figured it was a loose wire unrelated to 1 or 2 above, but I don't see any loose wires.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Toller

Switch, possibly related to 2)...

Reply to
dpb

dpb may be right and replacing or bypassing the switch would not be a bad idea. I will also suggest that power blips can cause problems with the logic boards and get things out of sync. Often disconnecting them from power for some time (try and hour or two) and then plugging them back in can often clear it up.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Rereading post perhaps you're right, too... :) I thought he said just the wall switch didn't work, but maybe he meant the lights weren't switching while power was on as well...if so, that could be the "confused logic" symptom and the power-down is a reasonable suggestion.

Reply to
dpb