What type of caulk to purchase to go around windows?

Folks, I have never re-caulked my windows, and the house is ~25 years old. I will be inspecting the caulk around the windows this weekend, and was wondering if anyone had any suggestion of what type of caulk I should purchase to use for this application. Thanks so much in advance, Richard

Reply to
Richard

High quality. Yea, I know but the one thing you don't want to do is buy based on a cheap price. The good stuff will cost you more in the short run, but it will last far longer. As for what specific type, I will stand buy. I imagine others will have some more experience and knowledge of it than I do who will offer their advice.

I do suggest that you study up a little. There are places to be caulked and other places that should NOT be caulked. Most DIY books will cover the general instructions.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Also make sure you figure out if you intend to paint the caulk or not. Some are paintable, others are not.

Reply to
trader4

Depending on the window material, construction and what kind and size gap you are caulking and if it is inside or outside you might choose silicone, latex or expanding foam. Latex painters caulk like Alex plus is good all around for small gaps and medium fill. Expanding foam if it is a large interior gap between the window and wall. Silicone if you want a clear product (often will not take paint). Silicone can also be used most places latex can be and some kinds can be painted.

If your window panes are loose or you have divided light windows on wood frame, a putty is what you use to hold the glass in.

You really need to read the labels for useage and compare that to your actual situation. I photo would help if you need to ask a salesperson or another DIYer in the same isle. For the most part, the products are labeled according to usage in the store rather than by content. Just buy one labeled for weatherproofing windows.

Reply to
PipeDown

Depends on what you mean. You might caulk trim gaps, but NEVER use caulk where you should use glazing compound- for the retainer/seal around the outside of the glass panes. It can be an absolute bear to remove if you have to replace a pane.

Previous owner of my house did just that on some windows. Made it a real time-waster to properly repair glazing. Their caulk only partially "stuck" to the wood, but way too well to the glass.

For re-glazing: carefully remove all the old brittle, loose stuff. Down to the wood, I'm assuming. Then apply new. This is a bit of an art-form. Does require temps high enough for the compound to be worked. (You must be somewhere in the Sunny South.)

barry