What turns a deck gray?

Is it dirt? Sun bleaching? Something else?
Do deck sealers work by stopping the rain water and dirt from penetrating, or by coating with a UV filter?

Yes, and yes... :)
Much of the gray is oxidation and UV, but all of the effects mentioned plus molds, etc., are at play.
Sealers do a little against all of the above -- how much of what they do, specifically, depends on the product and the situation. What the wood is, the climate, etc., all are variables...

Its cedar wood, in new jersey. I've got some penofin exterior stain which I'm going to lay down soon. I heard great things about it on here and other places, although consumerreports doesn't say too much good about it.

UV light.
tom @ www.BlankHelp.com