What trowel size and type of thinset for 12" X 12" X 5/8" tile?

I'm getting ready to tile my kitchen. The tile is has a pretty flat bottom. I've searched but have gotten conflicting answers on this, but what is basicaaly the best trowel to use on a tile like this? And also would regular thinset do?

Reply to
Mikepier

Look on the bag of thinset, often the trowell size is there. To find out for yourself test a trowell by applyig thinset and placing a tile, pry it up and see what kind of coverage you get, the idea is to avoid voids. As for the type of thinset , it really depends upon the substrate , and in the case of tiles which are translucent if it shows through.

Reply to
beecrofter

And tile, and is this floor/wall/??? ...

Reply to
dpb

I use a 1/2" comb. Cheapest thinset (about $4.50/50 lbs) if you are laying on concrete or cement board.

Saltillo?

Reply to
dadiOH

floor