What Tool to Use For Vinyl Window Pane Removal

I have several pieces of glass I need to replace in some double hung, double pane vinyl windows. Each pane has four vinyl strips which holds the pane in place. I use a painters tool to remove these strips with no problem. The other side of the pane is caulked (with silicon) which holds it to a half inch vinyl casing. What tool is best to use to run between this casing and the window to cut away the caulk? It looks like some kind of sharp blade with a 45 or 90 degree angle would work best. Any experienced window people out there have any suggestions for the right tool? Thanks in advance.

The right tool is your car or truck. Load up the project pieces and take them to a professional glass shop. There are so many tricks to the trade that your outcome on the repairs would be disappointing at best. In our area the glass shops work fast and cheap. so it doesn't make much sense to take that time away from more urgent work. Good luck.
Joe

Thanks for the suggestion Joe, but I'd already thought of that one. The windows are single hung (not double hung as I originally said), so the top portion can't be removed. Besides, I'd rather learn how to do this myself. IF it becomes more than I'm comfortable with, then I'll hire an expert to come in and take over.

A 12" cake spatula, with one inch wide blade and a pair of gloves.

Are you talking about a cake spatula that is used to cut a (birthday/ wedding) cake or do they make a similar "tool" with a sharper edge? Nice idea. I'll give that a try.

Not for cutting or serving, but one used in decoration.
This pic* is an offset type, but I prefer the simple straight one. You really want to get under the silicon to separate the glass and caulk. You can also break the glass, as with any expensive tool. Warm days are better.
Wear gloves for protection. I've de glazed a number of windows with a spatula.
Use the straight one, not offset* Check a dollar store.
http://www.cheflillian.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/offset.jpg

Maybe like the one on the right in this picture?
http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID%7219&CategoryID1797

Exactly.
Work one side of the window a bit; then a little at the top or bottom. Change back to a side and keep working the end of the spatula under the silicon.
That is my go-to tool.
In article

If you haven't already located a tool, I'd recommend an artist's palette knife. They come in several different styles, some of them bent like you describe (or with an offset handle), and in several different degrees of stiffness. Wouldn't be difficult to sharpen the working edge for better cutting, but then I do that all the time to other edged tools. YMMV.
-Frank
--
Here\'s some of my work:
http://www.franksknives.com /