What to use to clean fins on central A/C compressor

Several people have told me that when they have their central a/c units serviced the technician sprays a liquid on to the fins of the outside a/c compressor unit and then they wash it off with a hose.

What is this liquid and what should I be using, as I want to also do this? Is it just a soapy solution? Does it need to be brushed into the fins with a soft bristled brush?

Thanks, Walter

Reply to
Walter Cohen

Sorry...I mean the condenser unit (which also houses the compressor)....

Reply to
Walter Cohen

"Walter Cohen" wrote

Unless you've got greasy build up (and/or a lot of 'baked on' dirt) then just flush the condenser from the inside out with a garden hose.

If you insist on using a cleaner I'd avoid any of the common hydrofluoric acid-based coil cleaners. Here is a safer alternative:

HTH.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

I just bought a can of spray on foam for this purpose from Home Depot. It was next to some other seasonal AC items, between the light bulbs and the indoor garden stuff. I also bought a comb to straighten out the fins.

Reply to
news

I have a fin comb, but have made almost no progress straightening the fins.

Is there a special technique I should use?

Reply to
mm

It is a two step process. You have to get then straightened a bit and nothing to snag the comb by using duckbill pliers, Then you can use the comb to align them. If you have one of those cheap plastic combs it takes some time. Many years ago when I worked for a company that built eating/cooling coils, they used a metal comb that was fairly deep.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

That's what I was leaving out. Thanks.

I think mine is cheap plastic. But I won't know how cheap until I do the first step first.

Reply to
mm

When I asked the same question, I got this as an answer(s). Use a lawn friendly product(don't want to kill grass). Use something that 'foams' to life out dirt in the tiny areas. Don't brush, unless it's a fin comb. Use water to wash out soap and dirt.

Now I've not used advice, so I don't know of a lawn friendly, foaming soap/spray.

tom @

Just Joshin