what to use?

I live in a '65 vintage house, with tongue and groove oak flooring throughout. We bought the place in '96. The flooring had some kind of tough, clear finish on it prior to us moving in. Today, most of that finish is gone/worn off. The flooring looks kind of dull without the finish.

Is there any kind of easy, inexpensive stuff we can put down which will improve the floor appearance, short of total refinishing?

Reply to
RB

Paste wax. Johnson and others.

DanG

Paint.

Anything worth doing to restore them to their natural beauty is not cheap and is not easy. You should have put on a coat of urethane in 1998 and 2002 and you'd be set until 2006 or so. Keeping them looking good is cheaper and easier.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

If you have not worn through the finish to wood a few coats of poly are in order. If the wood is greying you went through the finish and need to sand, big money and mess. If it is just dull a recoat is cheap. A buffer with screen is used to rough the finish and you recoat it. Do not use wax or anything if you can . Any contaminent will affect new poly bonding if you decide a recoat. Get a pro out for a bid for a recoat.

Reply to
m Ransley