what to put in a small toolbox for in the house

Page 2 of 2

I already have bandaids in the house, so I don't need them in the tool box.

Easiest way to keep pictures level: Put in two nails instead of one, an inch or three apart.
grappletech wrote:

I'm dating myself here, but I usually find myself reaching for my "push drill" when I need to drill something like a starting hole for a wood screw.
Mine is a Craftsman I bought maybe 40 years ago. It's small size makes it convenient to use in cramped locations where a cordless drill might not fit, and the various size drill bits are stored inside the handle.
Stanley used to make them, but quit a few years ago, when cordless drills became the rage. There's new imports available, but there's plenty of vintage ones to be had on eBay, like this one:
http://tinyurl.com/hys94
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

So that's basically a screwdriver but with a bit instead of a phillips or slotted head? So you use it for drilling pilot holes and such. I have, so far, been able to use the cordless drill to drill every pilot hole I've ever had to make. Haven't had any in tight space yet, I guess.
At Autozone the other day, I saw a cordless drill/driver kit (18V) with a battery/charger for $18. Chinese made. Hell it's probably made at the same factory, using the same basic materials, as my $70 Craftsman cordless drill!
-
Just thought I'd mention that I thought you made a good argument for this, so I bought the one from this link on eBay. Looks like a good idea I'll get a lot of use out of!
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

I'm with you - I've actually got a Stanley _and_ a Craftsman. The Stanley just has drill bits; the Craftsman has a couple of screwdriver bits in addition to a smaller set of drill bits. Haven't used them in a while - a beautifully balanced Craftsman 12V cordless drill I bought twelve or so years ago seems to fall more naturally to hand for most things I would've used the push drills for. The drill is on its second set of batteries, but they were available - one of the things Sears is good about.
- Dennis Brothers
(FWIW, I'm N1DB, and my Brass Rat is eleven years newer than yours) (Further, my wife is K1KEB, and her Brass Rat is the same year as mine - there were 47 coeds in our class of about 1,000, and I got one :)
grappletech wrote: <snip>
if you're really going to do it
I like having 2 pair of channel locks or pliers around (one to hold the thing that the thing you are trying to turn is attatched to)
I use scissors alot
some razor blades come in handy
On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 22:51:56 -0500, grappletech

Great idea. You always need something you won't think of. That's why you make up a kit.
Here's some of what's in mine:
Screws: 4 sizes of drywall screws. A couple of sizes of finish nails Plastic anchors: 2 sizes, plus the screws and drill bits to use with them. (my tool "bag" has a small plastic organizer that slides into the bottom) 1" putty knife cordless screwdriver Linesman's pliers, wire stripper, outlet tester, wire nuts, ty-raps 2 tiny spring clamps Work gloves Speed square Small channellock pliers. Adjustable wrench. Regular pliers WD-40, tiny can Utility knife Level A few drill bits. Nail set. Pencils, sharpie Alcohol wipes (haven't used these yet) Hammer, 4 screwdrivers, bit handle and multiple screwdriver bits 5" pry bar (much handier than you'd think!) Tape measure. Tiny flashlight
This all fits in a sort of canvas cube, 9" x 9" x maybe 14" high (including the handle). It's the perfect size: not so big that you'll be too lazy to carry it, not so small that it's useless. I keep this in the house, next to one of my cordless drills. It's amazing how much stuff I can do with just those things.
Greg Guarino