What to lubricate a pump-up sprayer with?

Page 2 of 2
Red Cloud writes:

I'll consider updating my resume. You may want to consider applying yourself to something useful and constructive rather than foolishness.
On Tue, 10 May 2005 11:31:11 -0500, Richard J Kinch

********************************************** You accidentally snipped what I wrote, so I've put it back for you: ********************************************** Please don't ever claim to be any sort of scientifically trained "anything" ever again. Next you will be telling us that plexiglass and plate glass are the same thing. Is "wood grained vinyl" really the same thing as wood? Apparently, to you, that would be a quibble.

I think it is pretty clear to anyone who read what was written can figure you out pretty easily. Go ahead and have the last word if it will make you feel better. It's all you've got.
rusty redcloud
KY jelly

According to the directions, use Vaseline. But that won't help if you left something in there that ate the O ring. I have been having a Dickens of a time finding the right size O ring, without buying the whole rebuild kit. Been to specialty hose houses, etc. The only thing I can do is use a 1/8" O ring, and put a rubber band in the groove first. It works, but not as good as new.
Steve
i use a plastic pump up sprayer and i hose some water around the pump handle shaft to get it working. lucas

Disassemble to get at the O-ring and use Vaseline..the real petroleum jelly, not the handcream, etc. Worked well for me

pieces a spray of silicon lube. Sometimes I will use a heavy silicon grease (available in pool supplys for lubricating pool O rings). My sprayer is going on 10 years and it was cheapy $10 wonder when I bought it.

I never tried this, but how about some of that PAM cooking spray. It's a vegetable oil of some sort, so I cant see it hurting anything. and likely will help.
dean wrote:

In the old days we used Neatsfoot oil on the leather pump cylinder seals. Today some sort of plastic is probably used however.
I got one years ago. It has a ocuple clips to take the top offf the plunger assembly. They suggest vaseline, though some axle grease would do.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

pump it a few times to clean any chemicals.
I buy the cheap 1 gallon sprayers and label each as to contents EVEN if I empty and clean after each use. Ya' don't want round up in the one you spray roses with.. even a trace amount. This way if I made up too much spray, I can release pressure and leave stored if I'm pretty sure I'm going to use again within 30-60 days..
Usually in the spring I have to assemble the sprayer with water in the tank, put a little water in top of pump under handle, then start pumping...
These cheap $10 sprayers seem to last as well as the more expensive ones.. and I don't mind putting bleach solutions in them as I never would the more expensive sprayers.. I have 4 which have worked great for the past 5 years even with the bleach in one.. 409 concentrate in another etc.. (with bleach I use all, rinse, flush after each use) Chuck