What to lubricate a pump-up sprayer with?

Page 1 of 2
Ok several times now I have bought a pumpable garden sprayer, and it works fine one year, but the next the pump action is all stiff and siezed. What should I lubridate the thing with? Its really annoying! Not sure if I can use a spray oil or not.
Thanks
Dean

The pump should have been cleaned and flushed with water before storage. It's probably too late. The plastic has been softened by the chemicals you left sitting in it.
rusty redcloud
Not sure about the lube Dean, but I discovered years ago that if you only make enough mix and empty, flush with water and set upside down to drain after each use they will last for years. I have two one for herbicide and another for pesticide both are cheap plastic tank units and both are at least ten years old.
I learned to never leave spray in the sprayer or you will be buying a new sprayer every year.
My two cents, Fred
dean wrote:

smoothly.
dean wrote:

First step is to clean it. I have used petroleum jelly on some and it has worked well.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Ok thanks all. It may be hosed, we'll see, but the general concensus is to use an oil-based lubricant?
-D

using oil-based things on rubber causes them to break down. use silicone based things instead.
Ok. have some silicone grease.
-D

It really depends on what the plunger washer is made of. On the farm as a child I watched my grandfather use a squirt of motor oil. The plunger washers were made of leather at that time.
I doubt that is the case anymore.
Silicone won't hurt leather, rubber or any composite material.Not sure about the silicone grease.
Have you tried just adding a 1/4 cup of plain water or water with a splash of Joy or Dawn down the plunger shaft from the top of the unit. This "priming the pump" has worked for me before.
Colbyt
Years ago a plumber friend of mine saw me lubricating a washer or "O" ring with vasaline and he told me that was a no no. He said most hardware stores sell tubes of plumbers lub/grease and it doesn't damage "O" rings and wahers. I've been using the same little container for years and it seems to do the job. It's probably just a standard silicone lubricant repackaged as a specialty product so they can charge extra for it.
Jimbo

Jimbo wrote:

From a technical standpoint he is right. I still use it however since it is there and I will never remember to do it otherwise. It is not all that bad, but yea, to do it right use the right stuff.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Charles Spitzer writes:

Nonsense. Plenty of rubber in contact with oil and gasoline in your automobile.

It's not rubber. It's one of the synthetics that can tolerate petroleum products. And the gaskets in a sprayer, which must expect some contact with petroleum products, should not be rubber either. --- SJF
SJF writes:

Quibble.

THAT is hardly a quibble, Kinch.
rusty redcloud
Red Cloud writes:

Now you're quibbling over "quibble".

You said that engines were full of rubber parts that were not affected by oil or gasoline. How is it a "quibble" that the parts in the engine are NOT RUBBER at all?
Oh, yeah... You're the jerk who thinks that the skull and crossbones on paint thinner is "a quibble" as well. I guess to you, anything that looks like rubber "is" rubber, and if paint thinner looks pretty much like water, then it must be safe to drink.
rusty redcloud

Hey, hydrocarbon, carbohydrate. Same damn thing...
Red Cloud writes:

Because they are rubber in the sense of the word as used by the OP. You want to pick a petty fight about definitions, which is to say, quibbling.

Please don't ever claim to be any sort of scientifically trained "anything" ever again. Next you will be telling us that plexiglass and plate glass are the same thing. Is "wood grained vinyl" really the same thing as wood? Apparently, to you, that would be a quibble.
rusty redcloud