What to fill gap between sink and counter?

There's a large gap between the sink's edge and the countertop. This gap is hard to clean. If I fill it with silicone sealant, it would be easier to clean, but wouldn't the process of scrubbing damage the somewhat flexible sealant? Is there a sealant that is scrub proof?
http://www.smugmug.com/photos/1135612218_48NgH-M-1.jpg

That gap is a lot bigger than one would expect. Looks like the sink isn't bottomed all the way in the opening. But I don't see why you can't fill it with one of the high quality silicone caulks, in white. Should hold up to fine with normal cleaning. You shouldn't need to scrub it with Comet or anything...
bob wrote:

Hi, It looks to me the sink is not seated properly. There shouldn't be hardly any gap.

The sink is improperly seated. Remove it, use a router to chamfer the edges to match the sink profile and reinstall with white silicone sealant. The gap will magically disappear and your worries abut scrubbing will be history. Remove all the old sealant, clean the area to be bonded with a polar solvent like alcohol or lacquer thinner. The original install seems to be a DIY project that lacked proper instructions. Good luck.
Joe

If it is a sawdust core counter top, paint the edge with a good coat of paint to seal it so if any moisture gets down there the 1 inch countertop doesn't become a 1 1/2 inch countertop.
I ALWAYS seal the edges of sink cutouts - a goodprimer like KILZ or Zinzer works good.

As others have said, it looks like possibly the sink isn't seated properly but I have another question.
What is the dark area *inside* the sink, opposite the dirty caulk you are probably referring too? Look straight into the picture, before you get to the fingers of the glove.
It almost looks like there is a gap there also. What is that?
Is it possible that the ceramic/porcelain piece we're looking at isn't even part of the sink?
On 12/23/2010 6:49 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Point your browser to
http://www.dongares.com/whatisthis.jpg and you will see what I think that DerbyDad03 is referring to.
Don

Nah- that is just a Really Wide bead of caulk.... :^)
(But seriously- I think it is just a badly installed sink, or the rim is so out of flat that it can't set square on the counter. If bleaching wouldn't cure it 'good enough', I'd yank it and reinstall it.)
-- aem sends...

That is indeed my postulation. What else would explain the similar looking crud inside the sink?
In addition, if you look under the strainer at the back of the sink, do you see rust? That could be rust from the original metal trim ring that is under the ceramic/porcelain trim ring.
The existence of a metal trim ring with the ceramic/porcelain trim ring sitting on top would explain the gap (and need for caulk) on both sides.