What to do with this white wire?

To know for sure I would take a peek in the light fixture box. What you will probably find is that it has power to the box with black & red(the cable to your switch box) used merely as a switch leg. This being the case you could cap each end of the white with a nut Todd

Reply to
<twiedeman

I am working on prep for installing a microwave above our range. The range hood which will be removed has power but no ground. I traced the power source through the basement back up to a light switch in the kitchen. The way things are wired there have me confused. The previous owner had obviously done a lot of wiring on his own.

Power comes down from the ceiling to the switch with blk/red/wht. Blk/red going to the switch for the one light.

Up from the basement is blk/wht which fed the hood and an outlet near the sink. Wht/wht tied via wire nut. Blk/blk spliced goofy but functional.

I yanked out the blk/wht for the hood and outlet and will run a dedicated circuit through the basement for the microwave and gfci for the sink outlet.

This leaves me with the blk/red/wht in the box for the light. I reconnected the blk/red for the switch but what do I do with the white wire? Cap it with a wire nut? Not sure what it's there for.

Thanks for your input.

Reply to
Jason

Todd, thanks for your reply. I think you are correct. It's tough to see behind the fixture, but it looks like three black wires tied together. That would put the hot black to the switch, red back to the light. The three whites are connected in the fixture where I can see them as is the red. I'll cap the ends tomorrow.

/Jason

Reply to
Jason

It doesnt really matter where it goes. The microwave should be on its own separate circuit. It shouldnt be going through light boxes or junctions. It should go straight to the main panel on its own separate breaker. Otherwise you will be blowing fuses/breakers. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba