What To Do With My Wooden Deck

Page 2 of 2
FTR,
Remove the deckboards and flip them over. The new sides won't be splintery. You can do this in sections if you are pressed for time. I like Cabot's solid stains.
Dave M.
| Remove the deckboards and flip them over. The new sides won't be | splintery.
Good idea. The backsides may have a lot of mildew, but it can be removed with a solution of about 1 part bleach in 3-4 parts water.
It's probably not a small job, though. If the boards were put down with ringed deck nails it may be very difficult to get them up, and a lot of breakage is likely. Then he's in for buying replacement boards. If they're down with screws it *might* be very easy.... or the screws might be too rusted to get a grip on them with a screwgun or drill.
On 8/26/2015 12:36 PM, Mayayana wrote:

My deck's a mess too. Hoping to hear some good ideas but what I'm hearing sounds dumb.
Wife was pointing out that the decks at our pool club look good and I pointed out that they re-stained them practically every year.
Guess that is what I will continue to do.
Praise be to EPA for making this necessary.
On Wednesday, August 26, 2015 at 12:23:46 PM UTC-4, David L. Martel wrote:

They used ring-shank nails when this deck was built. Getting the boards up will be very difficult and not worth the effort unless I am replacing them .
I made some modifications to the railing and had to replace a few pieces th at broke when I tried removing them from the posts. I'll just stick what I have, maybe sand the really bad spots down, and then apply linseed oil. I t sounds like the best approach. It may not improve the appearance of the wood but atleast it will add some protection without introducing the need t o scrape and repaint every few years.
On Tuesday, August 25, 2015 at 10:58:51 PM UTC-4, FTR wrote:

old.

deck is east facing if that matters.

the wood floor is in pretty tough shape. The boards are PT 2x6 and the s urfaces are getting pretty badly splintered. One piece is starting to peel the top layer off. There's no rotting - just very worn top surfaces.

No experience with the Rustoleum restore product either, but I've seen it in the stores. We can't see the deck, but if it's deteriorated to the point that splinters, wood coming off is an issue, I don't see how any stain or paint product is going to solve that. The restore type product is at least a thick, heavy coating. How well it would work, IDK. I guess you could look for videos and/or buy a gallon and try it on some test wood.