what to do with leftover fuel oil?

Page 2 of 4

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 19:49:42 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

No. When I found out what it would cost from three different companies, I ran an ad in CL and immediately got several responses. The oil was gone a few days later and I even got a little money for it.
You da man! Great way to go.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Tom wrote:

use it up before you change over.
On 3/25/2010 1:15 PM, Steve Barker wrote:

Diesel fuel ... without the motor fuel tax and some additives?
Art Todesco wrote the following:

Basically Yes. Diesels can run on almost any heavy oil, including biofuels, and you're right about the taxes.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote:

Yes, do not try to use it in your diesel car or truck as that is illegal (transportation fuel taxes) and also a problem for 2007 or newer diesels that require ULSD fuel.
You can use it in your diesel generator, diesel tractor, diesel torpedo heater or of course an oil furnace in a different house.
On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 14:38:58 -0500, Pete C. wrote:

Hmm, I thought there was some way of paying the taxes and making it all legal?
On Mar 25, 3:45pm, Jules Richardson

Frankly if I had an older diesel car or truck I'd just use it. How are they going to catch you?
On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 12:57:46 -0700, jamesgangnc wrote:

The smell. Oh wait, that's waste veggie oil :-) It does seem extremely low-risk, but I'm still curious as to what the 'official' routes are. I'm sure I once read that there was a 'proper' way of declaring it (in the US) but I forget the details now.
cheers
Jules

It has red dye in it for home heating. Chances of getting caught are just about nil unless you are buying hundreds of gallons in a storage tank.

If you live in an area with a lot of agriculture, the cops frequently pull over and "dip" the tanks on diesel vehicles.
Different color. I kind of doubt it's possible to make it legal.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On 3/25/2010 3:38 PM, Pete C. wrote:

That would not be good advice concerning using it in a torpedo heater. Heating oil is #2 and typical torpedo heaters use #1.
I have seen numerous cases where the "its all the same rule" was applied and a torpedo heater was refiled with #2, got really stinky and then quit.
George wrote:

I agree. I've never seen a torpedo heater made to run on fuel oil. Only K-1 grade kerosene which is further distilled and much cleaner.
And even worse is using fuel oil in a wick type kerosene heater.
-snip-

Check this out- http://www.masterheaters.com/kero /
"Kerosene Heaters Use Only: Kerosene, No. 1 & 2 Diesel Fuel Oil, JP-8 Fuel or Jet A Fuel "
There are a half dozen there that burn diesel. -With cautions that it might smell & might need more maintenance.
Jim
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Yes, I've seen plenty that are spec'd to use #2 if you want.
On 3/26/2010 3:26 PM, Pete C. wrote:

Sure but one needs to check. I have witnessed numerous occasions where someone decided all fuel oil must be the same and found it wasn't after filling a torpedo heater that couldn't handle #2 heating oil.
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Interesting, but not for me. The smell of clean burning K-1 is bad enough, no way would I be burning diesel.
Yes, and it's a different color so the road police can see the different color if you put it in a diesel vehicle.
Off road (think farm tractor) is legal to use. Too stinky for indoor kerosene heaters. Works find in diesel engines like generators.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

So when's the last time you saw or heard about a cop sampling the fuel in a diesel car or truck to see what color it was?