What to do with Fuzz growing on concrete floor?

Had a water leak and pull up a section of carpet. Dried everything out and thought we were fine. Next morning a white/gray fuzz is growing on the concrete floor. Tried TSP, full strength bleach, scrubbing bubbles, and it still grows back overnight. Not sure if it is organic. Anyone seen this before??
Lyle
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Its mold, the concrete is still wet just use bleach , maybe a 25% mix and leave it. When the concrete dries , maybe in 2 weeks to a month bleach it again.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
If indeed it is mold, CDC says to use a 1:10 solution of bleach to water. About a pint to a gallon. With plenty of contact time.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Its mold, the concrete is still wet just use bleach , maybe a 25% mix and leave it. When the concrete dries , maybe in 2 weeks to a month bleach it again.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
It might not be mould. It sounds like efforflescence (check spelling) from the concrete being wet. Look it up for proper care. By trying to clean it with water, you are making it come out more.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Try cleaning it off with sulfamic acid in water. Available at any tile store or HD for cleaning grout. Most efflorescence removal solutions are just sulfamic acid and detergents in water. Sounds like your concrete was not fully cured. The water started up the reaction again. If it stays dry and you get the moisture out of the concrete it shouldn't continue to form
RB
edee em wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

like the others said bleach and water repeat every week or so. AND run a fan down there for a couple of months,,, continuously. Blow it across the room at floor level.
In time it will go away
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Thanks everyone for all the help. After researching efflorescence I believe that is what I am seeing.By trying to bleach it I am just helping it grow. I am going to try the grout cleaner and letting it dry. Lyle

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
You are wrong lyle , by bleaching it you are killing mold- fuzz. . Effloresence does not grow overnight , mold does, and only bleach kills it. Try a dehumidifier they work wonders in moist areas.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Dehumidifier needed
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Still not sure if this is mold or not. I have treated it with two applications of straight bleach and still not killed it. The area was only wet for 3-4 hours and located in a living area that is A/C so humidity is not too high. Will try a grout remover acid next and let you know how it turns out. Lyle

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
What happens to it after going after it with a stiff broom? Or a Scotch-Brite pad? Could it be a residue of the carpet? Because it shouldn't be mold if you have low humidity.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
If its mold beach will kill it and change its color immediaty to within 5 minutes. If its effloresence Acid such as muriatic will remove it visualy affect it immediatly to within 5 minutes.. Effloresence feels like chalk or grit, mold can be fuzzy or have 100 different visual charistics depending on type., White, black, green, yellow, etc. If its neither just wash it away with soap, its probably from the carpet
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.