What to do with dog waste?

Page 1 of 2
Hi,
In a couple months I'll be getting married and my fiancee will be moving into my house. Part of the package includes her 2 dogs. That's ok with me... I've known them for a while and like them, and they like me. My question is a practical one: what to do with the dog waste that will soon be accumulating in my yard?
Currently she disposes of it in a burn pile in her backyard, but she lives in a small town where backyard burning is still permitted...I can't do that in the city where I live. It's also illegal to put it in with the regular house garbage to be picked up.
So what else can I do? I've never had dogs before, so I don't know what most people in my situation do. I guess some people just let it pile up, but I don't want to do that.
I've done a little research and I know there are such things as dog waste toilets or composters or digesters, or whatever they are called. Do these things really work? How about in the winter (it gets really cold here)? Some require digging a deep hole, and some are just a container that sits on the ground...is one better than another? Would one that just sits on the ground work in an area that can have zero-degree temperatures in the winter?
I can read the advertising propaganda, but I would prefer hearing from people who have had real-life experience with these things.
Thanks,
Allen
Allen wrote:

Personal experiences? You got it: http://home.thegrid.net/~i436553/DOGPOOP_FAQ.htm
I live in a large city and throw the dog's waste into the regular trash. If that's illegal, it's news to me.
Allen wrote:

I live in a city of a million plus. I put blue 2 Walmart bags inside a 5 gallon bucket, then toss the doodoo in there. When about only 1/3 full, I tie the bags and toss them in the trash cans. Never a protest from the garbage men. Of course, occasionally when I am out there, I toss them each a soda or a cold bottle of water. A little bribery goes a long way. Hell, I think if I gave them a sixpack, they would haul off a body.
Just do it until someone says something. Bag it up and tie it up. They don't really look that closely.
And what about baby diapers? Doodoo is doodoo.
Steve
On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 08:57:44 -0700, "Desert Traveler"

Where do you live, NJ ?
bob

Las Vegas. We only bribe the garbage men when we are lazy or it is hot. Most of the time, we just drive them to the desert ourselves. ;-)
Steve
On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 22:39:31 -0700, "Desert Traveler"

He, he, he... around here there actually was a "waste" company that was in that business. The guy was burying all kinds of stuff, including hazardous waste. For a price, he'd bury anything. I think they found four bodies buried when they started cleaning the thing up.
Bob
put it in a bag and in the trash, thats where disposable diapers go...
Mail it to: Arraa Movsesien 6340 N Gentry Ave Fresno CA
(Actually I toss it into the pachysandra. Hasn't done any harm in 10 years.)
In Seattle it used to be illegal to place dog waste in the trash can. I understand that it is now OK. I keep a post hole digger handy and every once in a while I dig a 4 foot hole. When it is close to full I fill it with dirt and dig a new one. I use the grass cap from the now hole to cover the old hole. I have a few persnickity friends who actually collect the waste and flush it down the toilet.
JimC622911 wrote:

http://www.esb.utexas.edu/nrm2001/dogdoo/WaterQuality (JJ)/Default.htm
How big is the yard? I have a 100' x 50' natural area in my back yard (in addition to the lawn), and have taught my dog to poop in the natural area. Works for me.
KB

If you go to rec.food.cooking you can probably find someone that will give you some recipes to make a meal out of it for yourself.
Otherwise just toss it in your toilet and flush...... (DUH)
PS. You gotta be a blonde !!!!

I got a Labrador/Rottweiler mix. Sometimes I just wince when I see the size of those logs. Man, that's gotta hurt! Bring them in and flush them? DUH, DUH. (double duh)
You must be a natural blonde. ;-)
Steve
you could sell it on e-bay Mark H.

I'm pretty sure Old Arty Boy will take it. I've been feeding him crap for going on 2 years now.
Thank you for stating it! I've always agreed with the Packard Motorcar slogan of years ago "Ask the man that owns one". Had a neighbor eons ago that trained their Collie to use one corner of the backyard for waste. Don't have any idea what happened then.

You have a very strange ordinance if putting dog waste in the trash is a crime. Pick up the waste as soon as possible to avoid breeding flies. We have a neighbor that has 14 dogs and they never pick up the waste--the smell and flies are intense. Actually not picking up the waste is against an ordinance, but it is not inforced. You could install a "digester" which is similar to a compost pile, only it is a covered hole in the ground.

as "Sound Garden" says "The grass is always greener where the dogs are sh*tting"
fertilize your lawn. and make a compost bin.
think of the money you will save. buy the new neighbors a bottle of wine.

Two solutions come to mind. 1. get one of those "super dooper pooper scoopers" pick up the poop & fling it into you neighbor's yard. 2. box it up, gift wrap it with a pretty bow on it, set on the front porch & I'm sure someone will steal it!