What to do with dead squirrel?

Page 1 of 3
Last evening I saw it, traumatized by a blow to the head or neck from the rat trap it had hit in my backyard. The trap was tethered to a tree. The bugger (or its cousin) has been digging up my newly planted squash seeds and this is the only way I've been able to control (somewhat) the problem.
This morning it's surely dead (I saw one, maybe the same one) that was evidently stunned from hitting the trap a few days ago, looking dead, but when I turned my back it darted away.
Warm weather is expected the next few days here in Berkeley, CA (~80 degrees) and wonder about putting it in plastic bags (nested) in my trash container, pickup being Wednesday morning. Call a city agency? Bury it in my back yard? What would you do?
Dan

In the trash with it. And, get a roll of chicken wire. Lay pieces on the ground over your seeds, slightly arched, and weighted down at the edges with bricks. Works like a charm.

http://www.bowhunting.net/susieq/squirrel.html

Standard chicken wire doesn't hold 'em back. You need the heavy electro welded square mesh stuff to do the job.

It's called hardware cloth.
JOE! I've missed you big guy. Nice of you to pop in :)
Val

Famous last words!
I have been told by people from the East Coast that people in the mid west are really behind the times in carrying on conversations. I am really laughing about so much that be said about a dead Squirrel. My 2 cents
1. Cook it 2. Trash it 3. Feed it to the other animals in the environment.

snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

Plastic bag in trash or bury it. Worst thing you can do is let it sit out where flies will get at it, lay eggs and maggots will cause a stink. My lot is big enough that I just throw in brush and let foxes or crows eat it but there is always smell potential.

What? That's what I do, and I fish with the maggots.
On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 07:24:41 -0700, Dan Musicant ( snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net) wrote:

If you can get 3 or 4 of them, make squirrel soup. Google for recipes.
:On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 07:24:41 -0700, Dan Musicant ( snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net) :wrote: : :>Last evening I saw it, traumatized by a blow to the head or neck from :>the rat trap it had hit in my backyard. The trap was tethered to a tree. :>The bugger (or its cousin) has been digging up my newly planted squash :>seeds and this is the only way I've been able to control (somewhat) the:>problem. :> :>This morning it's surely dead (I saw one, maybe the same one) that was :>evidently stunned from hitting the trap a few days ago, looking dead, :>but when I turned my back it darted away.:> :>Warm weather is expected the next few days here in Berkeley, CA (~80 :>degrees) and wonder about putting it in plastic bags (nested) in my :>trash container, pickup being Wednesday morning. Call a city agency? :>Bury it in my back yard? What would you do?:> :>Dan : : :If you can get 3 or 4 of them, make squirrel soup. Google for :recipes.
I've seen several suggestions (also posted on a forum) to eat it, but I'm not enthused so far. I'm not a vegetarian but not far from one. I eat maybe ~2 oz. beef a day, eggs once in a while (not a lot), occasional fish and chicken. Not putting it down. Maybe if I'd ever eaten squirrel before I'd be salivating. I once ate rabbit and didn't like it.
I think I'm going to freeze it in plastic bag and put it out in my trash can on trash day. Anyway, it's been sitting out there at least 14 hours now.
Dan

Got a neighbor you don't like?
snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

http://www.squirrelrecipe.com /
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

...only in California....

Where's your trailer parked?
--

- Billy
leave it out in the bushes for predators to find it.
On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 07:24:41 -0700, Dan Musicant ( snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net) wrote:

On Apr 19, 12:28pm, snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com wrote:

Vermin that get in my garden ususally become fertilizer for the garden if I catch them. I just pitch them in the compost heap. Ive never noticed any odor from it .
Jimmie
This is what I do too. The raccoons drag it off overnight.
On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 11:28:05 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com wrote:

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 11:28:05 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com wrote:

Scavengers, not predators. Predators want to KILL their meal.