What to do with concrete ceiling

I am trying to figure what to do with my concrete ceiling. It used to have just painted wood boards. I am thinking a popcorn ceiling or similar since the concrete is not even and evening it looks like too much trouble. Any ideas or "how to do it" web pages

Reply to
Dave

Dave,

If your room has the height a drop ceiling would be easy and may look good. I doubt that a popcorn ceiling paint job will hide the imperfections of a concrete ceiling

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

Most people don't like the look of the popcorn but there are good reasons it is used. Mainly, it is very fast and easy to apply, much easier than painting. A hopper gun is used and is not expensive to buy or rent. The main hang-up is the air compressor. The hopper gun uses a tremendous amount of air and requires a substantial compressor. You can rent a compressor of any size for a price.

You just buy the popcorn stuff, mix it with water, put it in the hopper and start spraying. The gun point towards the ceiling. Technique is almost non-existent, just point the gun where you want the texture. You will have a bit of a mess due to overspray however. I usually mask the top of the walls and cover the floor when I do that job. The popcorn is easy to just scrape off with a taping knife while it is wet so clean-up is no problem regardless. Eye protection is a must when spraying especially overhead.

The really lazy way is just to leave the popcorn unpainted and it is common. The ceiling will attract dust and grime if you do, however, and be ugly. The upside is that the popcorn is almost as easy to remove as to apply. So when your upainted popcorn starts to look bad, which is always does, you will end up scraping it off. People hate popcorn for these reasons. It's not a great look to start with and goes downhill from there.

Paint over popcorn is a better surface but you are committed to the corn forever if you paint over it. Most people will tell you to just use paint only if that's your plan, that's how much popcorn is hated. I have removed a lot more than I have applied.

Reply to
Lawrence

What kind of room/usage is involved here?

I'd seriously consider suspended ceiling tiles of one variety or another.

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

How un-even is "uneven"? Too bumpy to just plaster it?

Reply to
Goedjn