What to do with an unused artisian well.

We have an artisian well on our property that is no long in use but it has water that continues to come out of it that is making a soggy mess in our yard. Whatever the water should be doing or wherever it should be going , it's not. Can we stop the water from coming up or is there something else we can do with the water?
bunney,
Isn't there a valve at the well head? Is the well leaking around the well head?
Dave M.
replying to David Martel , hugbunney wrote:

The well head sits in a small round depression filled with water and there is always water squirting out from where a wire enters the head. The surrounding area is mushy so I suspect that if the excess water should be draining somewhere it's clogged and instead spreading along the entire surface towards the river. Our property backs to a right of way for the electric company who then backs to a small strip of river bank owned by a conservation group. Walking to the river from the well I found a blue hose. No idea what it is but it may be there to help siphon water to the river. There's also a buried pvc pipe that sticks out over the river. Again no idea what it is for exactly.
On Monday, June 2, 2014 10:44:01 PM UTC-4, hugbunney wrote:

Sounds like it's a well with a casing. If that's the case, it should be sealed and sealed properly. There are typically state laws that cover how this is to be done because they don't want surface water contaminating aquifers. It should be simple to do it right and it shouldn't cost much. You could probably choose to cap it permanently or not. I'd suggest calling a well drilling company in the area and asking them for a quote.
hugbunney wrote:

Make a ditch or figure out how to direct the flow into a pipe to carry it somewhere that you cab use it . Bird baths , water your garden or flower beds , etc . Basically find a way to use it .
--
Snag

On 6/1/2014 11:44 PM, hugbunney wrote:

Lot of stuff on the internet. Probably depends on pressure of the aquifer. Simple cap may do but I guess if it leaks around it, you may want to fill it. My well goes into the aquifer and must be pumped but folks at the bottom of the hill have springs that cannot be capped and must be diverted and pumped to keep basements dry.
hugbunney posted for all of us...
And I know how to SNIP

If it's potable sell it to the local bottled water co.
--
Tekkie