What to do with a 100' tower?

That's a pretty ordinary tower, and certainly not something I'd consider getting rid of at all. I'd be putting a nice mid sized 3-5KW wind turbine at the top along with some antennas, netcams, etc.

Reply to
Pete C.

I used to work with my father-in-law who did those high tension towers, and drilling derricks all over the world. We worked on one that was 3,000 feet high south of Abbeville, LA. I worked on his derrick erection crews for two years in the Gulf of Mexico. This particular tower is taken down by pulling another section up that is just a little longer than one section. It is bolted on to the second section down, leaving it a few feet higher than the top section to be removed. A ground line takes a tension through a pulley on the stiff leg section to the top of the top segment, and then the top segment is unbolted, and lowered by the "gin pole" or "stiff leg" boom. All the load is downward on the boom, so they are incredibly strong. The Gin pole/stiff leg is then lowered to the next section, and the process repeated. It would be difficult, if not impossible to bring that tall a crane in, and it would be wasteful for such a light load that can be taken down by conventional means.

Steve

visit my blog at

Steve B

It is

Brain fart: The Gin Pole is bolted on to the second section so that its top is a few feet above the center of the top section. Then a rope is attached to the top section above the midpoint so it balances down once it is unbolted.

Easy to do, hard to describe in words.

Steve

visit my blog at

Steve B

Experienced derrick builders could have it down in less than a day, and I'd say by lunch.

Reply to
Steve B

The Titanic was built by engineers who had passed rigorous exams and so forth.

The Ark was built by amateurs.

Reply to
HeyBub

where IS this tower?

Reply to
Steve Barker

Hey Steve, OP here. The bottom of the tower has fence around it that is attached to the tower. It's been this way for many years. I also found out that it hasn't had any antenna's on it for years.

I would be having a title search and insurance done.

I am checking into costs to have it taken down, cheaper if I'm going to scrap it, but some are telling me it's worth quite a few $'s.

That's were I'm at.

Reply to
Tony

Eastern TN. I don't own the lot yet so I'd rather not give it's specific location.

Reply to
Tony

Not sure if you read my long post that I used to do work similar to this. Only MUCH MUCH heavier. As towers go, this one is a baby. Someone put it up, someone has to be around your locale that can take it down. It shouldn't be (I hate that word) expensive, as I know our crew would have it down by lunch time (starting at 0600) on a $100 bet. 6 men at $80 per hour would come out to about $3,000. Could be done with four.

Your concern is not to buy something that you will inherit the bad things such as easements, or you having to pay any extra costs. If you want to keep it there, just realize, too, that there may be some ongoing costs, and regulations as per regular maintenance by a certified person. And then, maybe not. Who knows with the Big O in office now. Don't dig so deep that you uncover all the snakes, but just enough to know where they are.

Let us know what the end result is.

Steve

visit my blog at

Steve B

Do your bona-fides on this lot prior to purchasing it...

Title/Deed search which would reveal any easements...

A check with your local or county building department for a search of the permitting history of your site would allow you to learn some of the construction and inspection history...

It is better to learn these things BEFORE you purchase an oddity property than be stuck with them after... It is an uphill battle to prove non-disclosure especially if the property has changed hands since it was last being used for what the tower was erected for...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

And just what does that have to do with amateur radio licensees performing work for which they are not explicitly qualified to do by means of passing the FCC exams for their class of license ?

P.S. The Titanic was done in by flawed materials which were not as strong as they were intended to be (rivets used to secure hull plating had much more slag in them than they should have) which was undetectable at the time using the technology that was available in 1910/1911 when the hull was formed for the Titanic...

That would be like a tower falling because the wrong size/rating bolts were used to erect it... The engineers specified one thing and the installer provided another... A LOT more materials testing is done these days than was done in days gone by...

Oh, and which "Ark" are you referring to, the "Ark of the Covenant" or "Noah's Ark" ?

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

While they were both built by amateurs, I had the one in mind where Noah was the general contractor. The Midrash recalls some of the problems common to all general contractors:

God spake and said "Noah, my son, Why ist thou behind schedule?"

"Oh Lord, the gopherwood was supposed to be delivered last week and is now on backorder."

"Why have you not gathered the animals, two by two, as I commanded?" asked the Lord.

"Lord, it is an impossible task. Doves only come in dozens and wombats cannot be had for love or money!"

The Lord sighed and asked: "And what other problems hast thou encountered."

"Oh Lord, my sons Ham, Shem, and Japeheth have formed a rock group and sleep all day. My wife of many years hath joined an awareness group and I am undone. Nothing is as it should be on this earth!"

"I know howest it is, Noah. Why else did I decide to destroy it and begin again?"

Reply to
HeyBub

Yes, that's a given, along with title insurance in case they miss anything.

Yes, I'm doing my homework, or else I would have made an offer already, but thanks anyway.

Reply to
Tony

I wish I had one like that on my farm. Great tv tower and I could hook up a ham radio. You even got a greaat looking ham shack.

Reply to
jameswaters

corporation

Reply to