What to do with a 100' tower?

Page 3 of 4

Jeff The Drunk wrote:

Good, now I don't have to bitch at you. For what it's worth, while there with a realtor to see inside the building. I measured the 3 corner tubes. They are about 2.75" outside diameter maybe a little less. Who is the tube guy here who knows standard tube and tube wall sizes? I am assuming they are "tubes" and not "pipes".

Take another drink and reread about the tower. This is not your average ham or small Rohn tower. The legs are about 3 feet apart. It may be the 65 or 80 series and not the 25 series. They have 20 feet long sections.
Whatever was on it must have been some big wind load . A tower with 3 feet legs and guyed.
On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 13:01:21 -0400, Ralph Mowery wrote:

No need to insult me, asswipe. I don't drink either. Didn't read the 3 foot leg description.
Jeff The Drunk wrote:

It's not a TV tower. This is commercial duty. How wide are the sides of yours? I took a quick peek at Rohns. I saw little towers. The sides of theirs is an equilateral triangle are 12.5 inches. The tower I'm talking about is an equilateral triangle *3 feet* on each side. I could almost fit 9 of those little towers in the same footprint of mine.
On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 13:40:46 -0400, Tony wrote:

Well one can only guess without an initial description.

Keyword: thinking. A friend of mine wanted to buy a corner lot for a convenience store. Not a gas station, mind you, just a store. He was very excited, the price was right, and the owner "motivated". He dug a little deeper, and it seems there was a gas station there previously, but not for about 25 years. So long that most of the locals didn't remember it, but county records never forgets. The tanks were still underground. The owner is responsible for HazMat and other environmental cleanup and remediation.
Long story short, had he not dug a little, and found out just what the law was, he could have snagged the property for a good price, but then had to spend millions on it to clean it up to an acceptable federal standard.
Investigate, because, to me, if this thing was able to be knocked/torn down and sold for scrap, it would be gone. There's some reason it's still there. And if you buy the property, you will assume all the liabilities that are involved with the tower. Which may be none, or which may be expensive to have it torn down according to industry standards. Unless, of course, some vandals snuck in there in the night and torched one of the guy wires, the wind was right, and gravity did its thing.
Steve
Tony wrote:

Guyed towers *do not* fall over in one piece. Short of deliberate sabotage, a guyed tower will fall within about 30% of it's height. The tower manufacturer's engineers can provide certified documentation of this for you to show anyone interested, such as your insurance company.

Since when have facts and statistics factored into an insurance premium estimate, or public opinion?
All the morons will see is, "100' tower, anything within 100' is a potential target." It doesn't matter how much paper you wave in front of them.

You seem to claim to be a boozer. So, build a beer joint under it and call it "The Jumpin' Off Place"
wrote in

You can be a drunk and not drink ya know...
If you don't understand that, be thankful.

Well, you can be an alchoholic and not drink, but to be a drunk involves drinking.

And it all involves choices. Disease? Piffle. Weak willpower.
Steve
Steve B wrote:

I never bought the disease bull either. It's simply an addiction.
Red Green wrote:

Hey what's going on? Is Bill here?

Of course ;-)

"Skin" the metal frame and make it a tourist attraction.Bigger is better.
    http://tinyurl.com/33644yd
Tony wrote:

I betcha if you advertised this tower for free on a ham radio site, there are amateur radio operators who would drive 500 miles with their trailer, tools, and friends to take it down. They would be looking at a five thousand dollar tower for a week-end's work.

Right... Except you are dealing with a commercial structure here and as the legal owner of it, the OP would not want anyone who isn't insured, licensed and properly trained to construct/dismantle such a tower on his property...
If it is to be dismantled that would require a demolition permit and a company with a small crane to properly dismantle it...
If you think there is liability in the tower potentially falling down and hitting nearby houses or from adventurous local kids trying to climb it, the amount of liability you would be opening yourself up to in allowing an unqualified and uninsured individual to do that sort of work on your property even if their only compensation was being able to keep the tower after they took it down is in a whole other league... The BIG league... Even if the only person/people hurt is/are the people dismantling the tower if there was some kind of an accident...
~~ Evan
Evan wrote:

There is no way in hell that it can be taken down safely without a crane. That is with it being usable again and not killing anyone. I can't imagine what each 20 foot section weighs.
Tony wrote:

Try around 300#-400# per section. Google "gin pole" to see how these and much larger towers can and are assembled and disassembled without a crane routinely. Many tower sites provide very poor access for large cranes and it is far less expensive to assemble the towers without a crane. Then you have the "real" 2,000' TV transmission towers that are far too tall to be assembled by a crane.