What to do about the granite company?

Hi,

Here's a brief version of what happened. I hired a granite company in the Philly, PA area to install granite in my stand up shower. The whole job was $1200: $600 for the granite and $600 for the installation.

The frameless shower glass contractor informed me that the threshold was pitched the wrong way. After some haggling (the granite folks were insisting that 1/8" the wrong way is "only a little wrong") they came over to remove the threshold, After they removed it, they informed me that they will not be reinstalling the theshold for fear that it may shift and end up being pitched the wrong way again. They further informed me that if I take the measurements and mark the stone for them, they will cut it for me and give me a check for $300 to have someone install it again.

So far I have not been able to find anyone to do this because it is too small a job on the one hand and nobody wants to deal with granite for fear of breaking it on the other.

What can I do at this point? What recourse do I have against the granite company? I was very foolish and did not sign a contract.

Many thanks in advance!

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Fude

I would take them to small claims court for the entire amount. to get their attention....

dont know what options there were, but they should of informed you bewfore they removed it that they refuse to reinstall it

Reply to
hallerb

did you pay them completely? if not, hold payment.... no contract- big mistake.... They admit to an error on their side.....Speak to owner of company and if nothing- sue

Reply to
KOS

First lesson in all this is to get it in writing. From the facts as stated, you have a right to be pissed. However, if you can get past that, from a practical standpoint, their offer may be your best option. You get granite that matches and $300 for someone to install it. Certainly if you look around, you can find someone that will do it, particularly in the current housing market situation. That fixes it now and gets it over with.

Another option would be to get someone else to finish the job, including providing the granite, assuming they can match it. You could then sue in small claims, for the cost and would likely win. But how much better is that than their offer?

Or you could take them to small claims and wait for it to be resolved. Quite frankly, in that case, I doubt you'd get more than what they are offering you, which is basicly the material and labor cost to make it right.

Reply to
trader4

To tell the truth, the granite company offer sounds too good to be true. It sounds a bit like a client or project they just want to get rid of.

Reply to
DanG

Courts and attorneys are expensive. 1/8" the wrong way? What actual effect will that have? Will the threshold be exposed inside the shower when the glass door is in place? What about glass for the threshold?

I am assuming that the threshold was destroyed in taking it out. If the conversation has been friendly to this point, I would certainly try to get them to redo the threshold.

Reply to
Norminn

I would too, but my guess is the granite company knows the customer is a PITA that cannot be satisfied and just want to get out as unscathed as possible.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

They will cut it, make the edge, buff it, and give you 300, so they loose maybe 500-600. Maybe make up and offer them 1-200 so it gets done now. It was a mistake. Now the question real question is why they want out so bad of your home. Were they the cheapest bid and had problems?

Reply to
ransley

clipped

I was inclined to suggest forgetting the refund and consider offering to pay a bit more - I'm pretty much of a chicken these days :o) If the job was otherwise satisfactory, I would try to make amends and maybe go a little further to mend the relationship. You might both gain from that. Best of luck!

Reply to
Norminn

The were not the cheapest bid - they came recommended by my contractor. The cheapest bid was 1k. As far as 1/8" - I was informed by my frameless glass contractor that the wrong pitch would result in my having a puddle on the floor.

As far as wanting out of the home, they've explained that they did everything properly and that the granite shifted after they left and they are concerned that it will happen again. As far as sensing a PITA

- perhaps. Until I learned about the problem I had been very happy with the job. At the time of the job, I tipped the workers $80 for 2.5 hours of work so can't imagine that they don't want to come back.

Reply to
Aaron Fude

This is an excellent example. Hire ONE contractor to do the job. You set yourself up as the mini-GC (General Contractor). Now you need to deal with the subcontractors. Had you hired a GC he'd work out these problems. You have no leverage since you are not likely to do another job in the near term.

Reply to
Boden

Yep. My take as well.

RicodJour