What to do

After putting away all of the holiday stuff, waxing the tractor and lawnmowers, and even cleaning the garage what can I do now for the rest of the winter? I do most of my things outside but now it is too cold. What do the rest of y`all do to keep busy? TIA
| After putting away all of the holiday stuff, waxing the tractor and | lawnmowers, and even cleaning the garage what can I do now for the rest | of the winter? I do most of my things outside but | now it is too cold. What do the rest of y`all do to keep busy? TIA |
Have you thought about making little Herbs and Enevas?
--
JC from Gnat Flats

We do a lot of drinking, hunting, screwing and wood cutting. And when thats all done we go to Cuba for for 10 days for some more drinking and screwing. That gets us to March.

We do a lot of drinking, hunting, screwing and wood cutting. And when thats all done we go to Cuba for for 10 days for some more drinking and screwing. That gets us to March.
After all of that, how do you march?
--
JC from Gnat Flats

Slowly but with style...
--
---
there should be a "sig" here
Herb and Eneva wrote:

What is winter?
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Winter is one of the four seasons of temperate zones. You know - like where I live we have cold temperatures and snow during the winter. But we don't have tornadoes, floods, heat waves or hurricanes either.
jim wrote:

We have winter here, too. It was 25 this morning and it makes it hard to get the RV ready for camping this weekend. It is supposed to be in the upper 70s by then.
I have a serious question. Does construction just stop up in the north during the winter? We have problems with the cold when we are pouring concrete or painting, but we just wait a while and it will warm up long enough to get things done. We don't really have a down time down here.
Just wondering.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Nope things keep rolling along as best they can. Busiest time in the Alberta oil patch, when the ground is frozen things can happen
PV

Does construction stop? No, but sometimes I wish it would.
Here in Duluth, MN, we can't paint outside. No more landscaping or sodding. But most other things are possible. Excavators used to shut down, but now with ground thawers they can work all year too. Concrete gets hot water and sand at the plant plus accelerant--plus you have insulated tarps for after the pour. You can do flat work down to 10 degrees if you are not too fussy about your finish. (20 is my personal cutoff). Foundation walls can be poured in any weather, except the pumpers don't like it below zero because the concrete freezes in the boom.
I went to work framing a house yesterday morning and it was 5 below. Shot some automotive antifreeze in the hoses and guns, some handwarmer packs in the gloves, and away we went. More and more, I wonder why the heck I live in such a place.
marson wrote: <snip>

Hmm, I wonder too? You might be interested to know that down here in Sunny Southern California, water actually freezes at 45F. That's when all the locals start talking about how "freezing cold" it is outside :-P
But seriously, many folks don't know that there are places in California where it really *does* get cold. Like in Bridgeport. I used to live not far from there. No beaches or palm trees there; it can get quite cold at times. By quite cold, the record low is minus 31F. Not so cold by Duluth standards I suppose, but damn cold anyway. Here is a link to some typical average and record high/low temperatures for Bridgeport, CA:
http://weather.yahoo.com/climo/USCA0129_f.html
I also used to live in Death Valley, CA where I once experienced 131 degrees. Now that is damn hot! Mother Nature is one amazing mother!
-- maxodyne.

Well here in Ottawa,Ontario yesterday was a bomby -20C (that's -4F for you in the US). That wasn't so bad as there was no wind. The day before it was windy bringing the wind chill factor to -36C (or -33F). My not so close Albertan neighbor knows what I speak of. . I wonder why I never returned to my birth place (California), after graduation.... Oh, yeah, I think it was something about guns, smog, no health care... Well, today I can say that I miss the sun. I get up early in the morning It's dark, I drive into work, it's dark, I work until it's dark, I drive home, it's dark. Sometimes, we get the occasional blizzard, which is fun to drive in, -NOT-, especially when there's alot of cars on the road -hate traffic. . Looking forward to the heat wave today (normal temperatures for this time) of -3C (-26F). . To "Herb and Eneva": Why don't you fly out here and wax my Snowblower? It also needs an oil change - I've been using it alot these days. Did I hear right? Truckee, California has up to 10 feet of snow predicted for a snow storm? Hope their snowblowers are ready.
http://www.onlineconversion.com/temperature.htm
I have alot of admiration for the construction workers that brave the winters, when the temperature drops below 32F (freezing). Developers often go on a foundation pouring blitz just as we get to freezing in late fall. Then the framers move in to get the roof and sides up. The balance of the winter is spent finishing the inside once they get the electricity hooked up, where they can heat the inside and work in comfort.
On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 21:12:52 GMT, Robert Allison

That freeze you got last night wasn't cold for you?
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Yeah, that was cold. 23 degrees. It will be 75 by the weekend though. Still no snow.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 15:28:44 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Herb and Eneva) wrote:

well, there's this new concept called "hobby". It's like, oh .... I dunno'..... find something you like to do... say, woodworking, wood carving, knitting, needle point, maybe learn a musical instrument, creative writing, collecting (I've got like 30,000 Beanie Babies I'll sell cheap), reading. You could learn to speak/write russian/arabic/indonesian and learn to hack computers liek they do ours. Or cook gourmet food.
Or not.
-Zz
On Jan 3, 3:28pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Herb and Eneva) wrote:

You could put up a news.server and filter out all the spam in a.h.r so the rest of us don't have to sort through it.
I read usenet, and watch VHS movies on my TV.
--

Christopher A. Young
.