What to clean out carburetor varnish

I got a 5HP Tecumseh engine on a snowblower and the catburetor is varnished up. I can tell from the smell of the old gas. There was no gas in the tank but must have been some in the carb bowl and gas line. At first it would not start at all, but after turning the needle on the bottom of the bowl, I got it to start. Although it will keep running, I must keep it aprtly choked or it dies. If I attempt to put it to some snow, it dies right away.

I put some spray carb cleaner in the gas (new gas), and left it run for an hour. The running has smoothed out, but it still needs to stay halfway choked and still dies under load.

Is there a better carb cleaner, or something like laquer thinner that I can add to the gas to clean it while it runs? If this is not possible and I must tear the carb apart, is there a way to do it without a rebuild kit? I am asking this because I live in a rural area and am snowed in. I cant just get a kit, and even if I could get out of here, I'd still have to order the kit. I'm thinking of just removing the bowl and cleaning it and the needle. If I do tear it apart, what is the best thing to remove the crud, just the spray carb cleaner, or is there something better?

I have the spray cleaner and laquer thinner on hand.

One other thing. How many turns from the stop (finger tight) should the needle be backed out for the initial starting. I am just guessing now.

PS. I can leave it idle till it runs out of gas if there is a way to disolve the crud while it runs, which is what I prefer, since I have no way to get parts.....

All help appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

Reply to
maradcliff

try running it longer, that should clear it out eventually and it should smooth out and accelerate normally under load

if not the carb will have to be rebuilt or at least cleaned, taking one apart you may have gaskets that could be broken even if properly disassembled, so go real real slow if it gets down to you HAVING to try this,,,best to get someone experienced to rebuild or clean it

Reply to
effi

Sounds like the main jet is clogged. If it has a bowl, it's possible the bolt that holds the bowl onto the carb has the main jet built into it, you will see the holes drilled into its side after removal. Just clean them out with a toothpick or small piece of wire. good luck

Reply to
glockdoc

GumOut is probably the best carb cleaner around, but you might have additional problems that cleaning wont solve. Eric

Reply to
Eric