What to charge for Painting??

Howdy folks, Just wondering if any painters could answer a question for me.
How much would you charge someone to paint a room, assuming they buy the paint. What would you charge to paint just the walls, or the walls and trim, or just the ceiling or maybe even just the trim. Also, let's assume 400 sq.ft. for the wall area.
Many Thanks, Felder
Felder wrote:

$125 for walls/floor trim and *either* paint ceiling same color or ceiling trim out (no paint ceiling)
$ 75 additional to paint ceiling different color (trim time)
$ 30 for each door or "simple" window cut in (just to the outermost edge of molding)
$ 30 additional for each "complex" window cut in (total frame to glass edges) [$50 if muttons]
So...Room with matching ceiling, 2 doors, 3 simple windows = $275 Could knock it off in 6 hours.
Same room with 2nd color ceiling, 2 doors, 3 old wooden multi-panel windows...cha ching! lol...= $500 But it *is* going to take a day and a half, roughly twice the time.
When can I start? <g>
--
The real Tom Pendergast [ So if you meet me, have some courtesy,
aka I-zheet M'drurz [ have some sympathy, and some taste.
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (m Ransley) wrote in message

Maybe he was checking to see if he was being charged the right amount by someone else who is going to do the work?
Sean
http://homedecorate.com
If he if checking prices , he needs to get bids.
Sean ( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com) wrote...

No. Actually, I was thinking about doing my in-laws' neighbors room. I certainly wouldn't charge $125. Even if was to do the whole room. My only painting experience is in painting the rooms of my own home. I have done seven rooms thus far and find myself getting better and more efficient each time. To top it off I sort of like painting. I like to take pride in the work I do, so I do a good job. I just finished doing a room for my in-laws. Ceiling, walls and trim. I did it for free, but really it was a pay back for a summer vacation.
-Felder

Doing what you like is a good way to pick up a few bucks. I don't mind painting, it is the prep work that I dislike.
Edwin Pawlowski ( snipped-for-privacy@snet.net) wrote...

No doubt. Guess that's one of the many reasons I have a wife :) Speaking of prep work. I got away from masking stuff up once I found out I can cut in around trim pretty darn good with just the brush alone. Is this unusual or is it a common practice?
-Felder
Felder wrote:

See, I could never get any good at it that way. I use the "rolling masking" technique: metal straight edge butted up against the target area, pressed in tight, and slid along as you paint. pull off and wipe as needed. They sell bigger, clumsier "tools" meant for this in most paint depatments, but they tend to be too big, IMHO. I have a few trusty drywall- mud-spreaders of various widths that I use. Nice when it's a big outer frame and I can use the 10-incher, but on those &*#@ multi-panel windows, I plod along with the little 2"er.
--
The real Tom Pendergast [ So if you meet me, have some courtesy,
aka I-zheet M'drurz [ have some sympathy, and some taste.
A pro does not need to mask. Exceptions are painting to wallpaper to keep roller splatter off or tight carpet hitting baseboards . Charge what is fair but do good work, prices can differ to much by area for anyone to answer

I mask the natural wood trim but I do cut in the ceiling with a brush. It takes a steady hand, but it also take a good brush to hold the right amount of paint. Cheap brushes don't save anything; they just make a simple job more difficult.
On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 20:18:06 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (m Ransley) wrote:

Many years ago we considered getting some young men from my mother-in-law's congregation to do some painting for us. They quoted us what seemed like a pretty high price. When asked if the quote wasn't a bit steep, they said, "Oh no. We ASKED PROFESSIONALS and that's what they said to charge".
Needless to say, they didn't get the job.
Greg Guarino
12.43 or 14.53.
depends on the color
randy

12.4286 more likely

You work cheap. I'd not touch it for less than $14.86 no matter what color.