What tile should I use on shower surround?

I'm getting ready to redo my master bath shower/tub surround tile job because some water got behind and rotted out the greenboard (builder was cheap, I am redoing with cement board). I'll be replacing all the tile. I went and checked out tile prices and they vary quite a bit. I see tiles that are 4"x4" and ones that are 4 1/4" x 4 1/4", I saw ones for .12 (4 1/4"x4 1/4"), .21 (4"x4"), and .34 (4"x4") each. I figure I'll be buying in the neighborhood of 500-600 tiles for the whole job, so the price difference adds up. All those tiles were in the "wall tiles" section.

What could be the difference in these tiles that vary the price so much? I notice my bathroom has 4 1/4" x 4 1/4" tiles (presumably to save the builder money). I know without seeing the tile you can't tell me that much, but is there something I should know about the bathroom tile so I know what to use?

Thanks, Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Smith

From a manufacturer's point of view, smaller tiles mean fewer thrown away per square foot due to defects. Same thing true of bricks.

much? I notice my bathroom has 4 1/4" x 4 1/4" tiles (presumably

can't tell me that much, but is there something I should know about

which

Reply to
Art Begun

because some water got behind and rotted out the greenboard

the tile. I went and checked out tile prices and they

1/4", I saw ones for .12 (4 1/4"x4 1/4"), .21 (4"x4"), and

tiles for the whole job, so the price difference adds up.

notice my bathroom has 4 1/4" x 4 1/4" tiles (presumably

me that much, but is there something I should know about

Reply to
Steven Bliss

You're new to this, and you're going to be doing the master bath. I suggest that you not do your first real project in there. However, that said, I'll mention, as I have before, that I happen to feel that any system that depends on the grout to keep water from getting behind the tile sucks. Concrete is simply not a very good waterproofer, even though using the latex additive does help.

But I also think there's a better way, and a lot less expensive in the process. Put it this way. Several people, including a couple of remodeling contractors, have seen it and done it my way on other projects. You can get the details by going to Google at

and use the search terms- baugh tile silicone bathroom alt.home.repair and discussed it in several threads, including "Tub area re-tile" where the person had gotten an estimate of 1800 dollars. I did mine for 120.

because some water got behind and rotted out the greenboard

the tile. I went and checked out tile prices and they

1/4", I saw ones for .12 (4 1/4"x4 1/4"), .21 (4"x4"), and

tiles for the whole job, so the price difference adds up.

notice my bathroom has 4 1/4" x 4 1/4" tiles (presumably

me that much, but is there something I should know about

Reply to
Michael Baugh