What the heck goes into the trash can (as opposed to recycling?)

We don't have cable (more interesting things to do than watch TV).

OTOH, we spend a fair amount on electricity for my various computers (there are 5 running, as I type this). And, a sh*tload on water/sewer to keep the citrus growing.

But, we don't eat out, drink, take vacations, etc. How you spend your money is YOUR choice -- and your problem/responsibility. We like knowing how ours is spent so we can reevaluate the choices that we've (often silently!) made -- instead of just repeating "learned behavior".

It has nothing to do with "net worth". We have friends who live in million dollar homes, have maids, landscapers, pool boys, are always traveling, etc. Cell phones with pricey data plans ("Oooh! Somebody texted me!"). Fancy clothes (I wear jeans and a t-shirt every day -- and *shoes* when we go out!). Coiffed hair/nails.

We elect to have none of those things as they aren't in line with our priorities.

We like being able to do what we want, when we want, without having to worry about living beyond our means -- and have some confidence in the QUALITY of all those things.

Of course, much of that means we have to do a lot for ourselves.

We've neighbors who would never think of dirtying their hands under the hood of a car -- who DELIGHT in the "service" their dealership provides ("And they give us a FREE loaner!" Do you REALLY think that loaner is "free"? :> ). OTOH, their vehicles are always in the shop; ours, never.

I spend a few hours every week baking -- to offset the cost/inconvenience of finding suitable baked goods. And, lately, a few hours "making chocolates" for similar reasons (I'm sure if "money were no object" we could locate similar items -- and pay to have them shipped here).

I spend a day each month/6 wks babysitting a large pot of tomato sauce -- instead of buying "bottled". We prepare our own meals every day -- instead of paying someone else to do the same (taking just as much TIME).

There's no free lunch; you "pay" in some way or another. We just find ways to pay that give us more control over our lives and less reliance on others.

I suspect you will find the difference to be alarming! Not just in terms of cost but, also, in terms of the quality of work.

"If you want it done RIGHT..."

I've been aggressively trying to get ahead of things that WILL present problems in the future. E.g., I felled all the tall trees on the property so I don't have to worry about hiring someone to do that later. And, no need to rake leaves. I'll paint the house exterior, soon -- knowing that the NEXT time I'll probably have to hire someone (but push that out 15-20 years hence). SWMBO's new car will probably be the last car she *drives* (assuming she gets 15+ years out of it -- 70K miles). I'll replace the roof in a few years (still researching that) and that should be the last time THAT will need to be done.

Reply to
Don Y

Yes. Here, even pitched roofs are very shallow. No "snow load" to accommodate so the pitch is more a stylistic issue. (of course, some roofing materials *require* pitch)

The relentless sun cooks the asphalt shingles, here. And, any load *on* them (e.g., walking!) damages them in short order (they become very soft and easy to tear as your feet shuffle across them).

Ceramic tile is, in theory, indestructible. But for the roof beneath! And, as you can't easily INSPECT the roof beneath, you don't know you have a problem until you see water stains on the ceiling.

With our roof, I have to be aware of outdoor temperatures/exposure and how "pliable" the roof is likely to be. E.g., walking on it on the coldest winter nights (which I often do to watch meteor showers) leaves it prone to "cracking" -- lack of snow load concerns means the roofs tend to be flimsy... it doesn't take much structure to hold up a layer of PAINT!

Many homes have kit on the roofs (furnaces, heat pumps, air conditioner compressors, swamp coolers, etc.) that need service from time to time. So, you're vulnerable to the actions of any "maintenance personnel" (who are more interested in fixing the kit than in worrying about any wear and tear they are putting on your roof!)

The biggest risk, however, is from the glare that comes off the roof. As the sun is always bright and the roof is painted white, you can easily go "snow blind"! In one of my first efforts on the roof, I came down to fetch something out of the garage. I had so quickly moved from the bright light of sun-on-white into the RELATIVE darkness of the garage that I was completely unprepared for the ensuing BLINDNESS! "Cripes! I can't SEE!!!"

Pitched roofs have to be concerned with appearances more than flat -- you'd be hard pressed to tell what color our roof is painted cuz it *is* flat (you'd need to be above it to get a view of it).

If I could replace the roof entirely, I'd opt for a metal/tin roof as it should require *no* maintenance (though might be LOUD during the rainy season). Unfortunately, it requires more pitch than we have available, here, so not an option.

Reply to
Don Y

Check out:

David Perlmutter's book "Grain Brain"

amazon.com/Grain-Brain-Surprising-Sugar--Your-Killers/dp/031623480X

and

William Davis' book "Wheat Belly"

amazon.com/Wheat-Belly-Lose-Weight-Health/dp/1609614798

and

Gary Taubes book "Why We Get Fat and What To Do About It"

amazon.com/Why-We-Get-Fat-About/dp/0307474259

Reply to
Rich

I've got afew Fujitsu scanners that have scanned close to a million pages each - much of it double sided - and can scan 20 pages per minute at 30 dpi all day.

Sadly there are no 64 bit drivers for them so I've had to look for replacements. The rubber on the paper feed rollers is starting to return to it's original latex gum consistanct now at about 10 years of age (would have to check the id plates for the actual age) so replacement is becoming necessary even in the 32 bit systems. These scanners were worth over $2200 new and I bought most of them used for around $250 5 nyears ago. (about 25 all together).

35mm slides are no fun - and negatives are even worse. I have a scsi interface slide scanner/strip scanner , but again there are no drivers for current OS.
Reply to
clare

If I wanted to be in the paper scanning business, I'd buy a tool appropriate for the job! :>

I scan anything that I want to preserve at 600dpi in greyscale or color (as appropriate to the material) in the hope that *someday* OCR is reliable enough to work "unattended". Too many visual artifacts manifest at lower rates. And, I have no desire to sit and "proof" each individual page coming off the scanner.

This goes to the "archive the OS and tools" comment I made. And, explains why I am reluctant to update OS's "just for the helluvit" (i.e., for no other technological reason). I have no desire to repurchase all my hardware devices (peripherals) AND software tools just to be able to say I'm running the OS du jour.

[Especially when many of those things cost tens of kilobucks and/or are no longer commercially available.]

Panasonic makes some nice scanners if you're interests lie in that area. I know a guy who's been happy with a KV-S3065W (but, he processes LOTS of paper)

Physical paper handling is always the problem. "Rubber" degrades over time. Or, gets "slick" from oils, dirt and grime that it picks up off the surface of the paper. This is particularly true if you are scanning OLD documents that may have seen a lot of use before you acquired them.

I used a "slide at a time" scanner -- though I have a B-size scanner that will support laying dozens of slides on the scanner concurrently. (the slide scanner scans at much higher resolution, though).

The post-processing problem with slides is that it is too easy to get them "scanned crooked". And, if scanned at too low a resolution, you start introducing artifacts as you try to rotate the skew out of the image.

Reply to
Don Y