What the heck goes into the trash can (as opposed to recycling?)

Page 1 of 7
For the past two years I have not put out a trash can at the curb while my neighbor's trash cans are filled to the brim.
What gives?
Here's what I throw out: 1. Everything that is "food" gets composted, so, there's no actual food in the trash (and yes, bones and meat and oils are food just as much as carrots and spoiled ketchup or mustard is food).
2. Every "container" containing food is rinsed out, so, the container itself is clean (for the most part), and the container goes into the "blue" recycling bin (which is 60 gallons I believe).
3. Every box or piece of paper or wrapper or envelope or anything whatsoever with printing on it goes into the recycle bin.
4. I almost never have electronic waste (once or twice a year?) so let's forget about TVs and refrigerators and batteries and broken cellphones, etc. since they're so rarely put in trash.
5. About the only place there is anything even remotely resembling "trash" is the bathroom. But even there, all biologically soiled tissues go down the toilet, so, the trash contains bits of cotton balls or q tips or nose-blowing tissue paper, all of which goes into the blue recycling bucket (it's not pretty, but it's recyclable).
6. Everything that pays the CRV of five and ten cents goes into a special bucket for dropping off to get my CRV back, so, there are very few bottles other than clean food bottles and jars in the recycling.
7. I almost never have clothing trash, although they're recyclable anyway, so, the once a year I throw out a pair of jeans would go into the recycling bins anyway.
8. Of course, all yard waste would go into the green landscaping bins, so, let's not even discuss leaves and branches here.
9. No babies for quite some time, so, there are no soiled diapers to worry about (and anyway, we always used the cloth ones so there's nothing to recycle except the wash water which goes down the drain).
10. Motor oil is a separate thing, which happens two or three times a year, as do tires and mechanical parts, all of which are recycled in their own way already (e.g., tires go to Costco while motor oil goes in jugs set alongside the trash bins).
So, given that my brown trash bin is never used, what on earth do people *put* in their trash bin, that can't be recycled otherwise?
On 05/02/2016 04:09 PM, Arthur Cresswell wrote:

<snip>
Pretty much the same here.
Each week my neighbor's garbage containers are over flowing, but in a month I'd probably not fill one.
I own my own home and one day I asked a neighbor who had been renting for many years why he did not buy his own house, he had a good job.
He told me he had no money because all he did was buy junk he did not need.
Yep, looked like it all ended up in the garbage.
sheesh, how disgusting.
On 5/2/2016 5:19 PM, philo wrote:

I know people in similar situation. Could easily support a house but cannot save up enough for a down payment. I had to have my mother be on the deed for my first house as I was only 20 when I bought it.
Never had a yard sale either. We have plenty of "stuff" but we buy what we want/need and use it until it no longer works.
On 05/02/2016 05:43 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

My wife just can't believe what I'll take the time to fix... but when I repair something it's usually better than new.
It usually takes less time to fix it than if I would have gone to the store to buy a new one.
I was 30 when I bought my house (same one I still live in 36 years later). I was tired of renting but a bit short on funds for the down payment. I had to "borrow" $1500 from my mom. Years later she told me I did not have to pay her back. I was really counting on that.
If I did not own my own home, there is no way I could afford to live in this neighborhood, the rents are up to $1600 a month for a new, two bedroom apt!
On 5/2/2016 6:26 PM, philo wrote:
Interesting world we live in, and neighborhoods. I irritate my neighbors by not spending what I have, they irritate me by spending what they don't have. The number of trash carts seems to be some sort of a status symbol with the "Bubba folks" and how high you can stuff the trash into one so the lid won't close. It's a sign of affluence to them I suppose.
On 05/02/2016 06:58 PM, My 2 Cents wrote:

One thing I do:
If it has any recycle value at all just as scrap bits of metal, old lawn furniture or computer cases...I just put it next to the trash container and half the time it's gone in a few hours.
My wife and I always joke if it takes more than 24 hours...about how picky they are.
philo wrote on Mon, 02 May 2016 20:10:01 -0500:

I used to do the same thing. Couches, tables, chairs, they'd all disappear.
I do hate it when they rip out the antenna or the knobs off a TV or some such thing, which ruins it.
says...

Pretty much the same here with the exception of a compost pile. Any stale or bad food goes down the garbage disposal, but I wouldn't think (cooking) oil would be so good for compost or the garbage disposal. I recycle all kinds of oil by taking it to O'Reilly Auto Parts for disposal. I'm old fashioned though and save bacon grease for cooking with, just like grandma used to do! [g] Chicken and beef bones get saved to make stock out of, but I do throw pork bones in the trash. The other bones go in the trash also after being used up making the stock.
--
RonNNN

RonNNN wrote on Mon, 02 May 2016 17:08:01 -0500:

The cooking oil has a story to it. We often just pour the oil out into the ground. I imagine it being no different than a dead animal, which contains fat, meat, and bones, and it gets "eaten" or decomposes pretty quickly on the ground.
One problem we had with the cooking oil though is that the animals outside at night would dig up the spot we poured the cooking oil! So, they certainly were looking for the "buried" dead animal.
Now we pour it in a spot we don't care the animals dig up. Most of the food is scavenged by animals anyway, which is how it should be. Everyone always says that will "attract rats" but I think they make this stuff up because I see a coyote every day, a bobcat once a month, deer every day, and assorted squirrels and chipmunks every day, but almost never a rat.

Motor oil isn't much of a problem because I just pour it into 1 gallon jugs also, and just leave it next to the trash bins.

We buy the Costco chicken cooked for about 5 bucks or so and then we also make chicken soup with the stock and then throw outside the boiled bones. They always disappear overnight.
So we have our own four-footed garbage cleaning crew.
On 5/2/2016 6:29 PM, Arthur Cresswell wrote:

Try that in just about any city and get back to me after a couple of days.
On Monday, May 2, 2016 at 7:15:55 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

well i have a pretty big compost pile of branches, grass and leaves. our community encouraged compost piles...
then we got a neighborhood rat problem a neighbor shot and killed 60 rats. allegheny county sent a investigator because we have the compost pile the community pushed.
i had a very unfriendly argument with the allegheny county rat expert, he was rude and offensive, and blamed the rat problem on my compost pile of grass clippings, weeds, lots of leaves, all natural stuff.
if i ever talk with him again i will record his rants, and he deserves to be fired for how he talks to people.
now i have had dogs for over 20 years, my dog susie was a mouser. if it moved she would catch and kill it. i felt bad when she caught 2 full grown rabbits..........
well she died at age 15 , and rats took over.
since we got jack a border collie mix i havent seen anything. i am certain jack has driven off all the varmits from our yard........
bob haller wrote on Mon, 02 May 2016 19:37:56 -0700:

Shot rats? They shoot rats? How the heck do you shoot a rat?
Seems like you can't shoot 'em inside, for obvious reasons. So, you have to shoot them outside.
If they're outside, they pretty much can go where they want. And if people are around, you can't just shoot willy nilly.
I can't imagine shooting a rat. A deer, yeah. It's big. A dog, sure. It's big too. A cat, well, it's not so bug, but a squirrel, well, it sits in a tree and freezes for you.
But a rat? It isn't gonna sit still and it's small and fast.
I'm amazed that anyone *can* shoot rats.
On 05/02/2016 09:06 PM, Arthur Cresswell wrote:

You never went down to the dump to shoot rats? Deprived childhood.
On 5/2/2016 11:06 PM, Arthur Cresswell wrote:

It's an old tradition in some towns. I'm not sure what type of gun they use, probably rim fire with short cartridges. Rats got to sit and rest. Possibly while they are eating. So, yes, they do sit still now and again.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
Ed Pawlowski wrote on Mon, 02 May 2016 19:15:52 -0400:

I'm in a rural area. Many acres. No house in sight. I agree that a city would be different.
On 5/2/2016 6:29 PM, Arthur Cresswell wrote:

One auto repair garage near me (well, thinking some more, can think of a second one) burns waste motor oil for heat in the winter. I get my oil changes there. On the rare moments I have waste oil, I do bring it there when the jug is full.
Stormin Mormon wrote on Mon, 02 May 2016 21:12:38 -0400:

Really. They burn waste motor oil? I would think that it's a carcinogen. WHo knows what is dissolved in the waste motor oil?
Lots' of petroleum by products I would think. Doesn't seem to me to be a good thing to burn, but, I guess if the heat is high enough, everything is incinerated.
On 5/2/2016 10:52 PM, Arthur Cresswell wrote:

I can't comment on carcinogen. But, who can tell? Most of the crud goes up the flue pipe, I'd think.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 5/2/2016 7:52 PM, Arthur Cresswell wrote:

My parents used to bring our waste oil to the factory where they worked. It was burned in the furnaces used to heat treat their products.
The town used to incinerate trash, too.
Times have changed.
On Tue, 3 May 2016 02:52:49 -0000 (UTC), Arthur Cresswell

Our town heats the garage with waste oil. One of the biggest users of waste oil is Safety Kleen. They charge you to take it away and burn it as fuel in a plant that makes concrete in large kilns.
Remember a few years back the big deal with PCBs in electric transformers? It is a carcinogen but to get rid of it safely it is burned.