What sticks to neoprene and Lexan. Cutting Lexan without a workbench.

What's a good thing that comes in a tube that fits in a caulking gun (caulk maybe but not necessarily) that will stick to rubber or neoprene and Lexan (polycarbonate)? That is black, tan, or clear? And is waterproof?

My convertible top window was not well attached at top and I had just finished one step in trying to fix it, when I was lowering it and it I helped it past its first roadbock, but didn't know it now had a second one, and it went thump. I did errands in the afternoon and when I went to put the top up again, I found out the window was broken.

I've knocked off almost all of the glass that was stuck to the neoprene, and I plan to use pop-rivets, 4 at the bottom, 4 at the top, and 2 at each end. Unless you say I need more

I just met a kid who has the same year car, and I'm going to make a pattern of his rear window, and I think getting the bottom and sides will be pretty easy with a helper, but the weight of the window and other things make it hard get the window as close to the cloth/rubber above it as the original was. So I want to leave the lexan taller at the top and trim it to the right side later.

Can I score it with a carbide pen or an awl, and then break it where it's scored? Or can I possible use a sabre saw while it is installed on 3 sides? How would one do that?

I would pay a guy to put in a new window, but he'll say it needs a new top too and it willl soon. If I do them separately, I have to pay for some of the same labor twice. And if I do them together, it might be a thousand dollars.

And for the first time in my life, I don't like the car and may want to sell it soon.

Plus I think I can do a very good job. I bought a sheet of polycarbonate ($40 for 24"x48", 3/8" thick. They didn't have thinnner.)

Reply to
micky

From GEm makers of Lexan Recommended Urethane Adhesives Hartel Adhesives Hartel Enterprises, Inc.

12970 Branford Pacoima, CA 91331 (818) 767-0861 Uralane #5774 and 5776 Ciba-Geigy Corporation Los Angeles, CA (800) 367-8793

Lexan does not snap easily. Why not make a template of cardboard and then cut the lexan to size while out of the car?

I would us a saw to do the cutting, fine tooth blade, of course.

If you Google "cutting lexan" you can find a PDF file from GE that has a lot of cutting instructions.

I had a shirt that I only wore once and id not like it. Fortunately, I never had a car like that. The shirt was 10 bucks.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I would consider Lexel or Aqua-Seal but you would have to check further. Aqua-Seal is AFAIK only available in a squeeze tube.

Reply to
Davej

I'm getting closer to the end of the project. Will know soon.

Reply to
micky