what size generator?

Page 2 of 2

If it is wired through a 30 amp breaker, chances are the running amps are about 80% of that, at the most, it may be lower. That gives you about 24 amps @ 240 volt, or 5760 watts. I would guess a 12,000 watt generator would run it, but I would go bigger to be sure, around 15,000 watts. Then keep in mind that any extra load you put on the generator takes away from its capacity, so if you want to run other loads, lighting, sump pumps, or AC, figure bigger yet! If you loose power often, consider a large tank to hold water, it will be cheaper than a generator! Greg