what size fitting for sink toilet connection

I am changing bath sink faucet and toilet. I am confused what I need for connection hose. The old faucet has two copper tubings 6" coming down, seems to be 1/4", with two male fittings ( cannot determine size, may be 5/8 On the wall, it has old type on-off-valve with aluminum tubing welded on, with female nut that fit into 7/8 wrench. I now had already gotten a new faucet with 1/2 plastic tube coming down about 3". I can get metal braised steel flex connection hose 1/2 FIT on faucet end. What do I need on bottom end , and what fitting male to male do I need in addition?

Reply to
Philip5malin

Aluminum tubing? Welded on? ______________

Since your old faucet used metal tube, it probably had compression fittings on each end and those were squished when tightening the nuts so that you got a water tight seal.

I really can't tell from your description what you have so my best advise is to call a plumber. Either that or haul the whole works off to a plumbing store and let them sell you what you need.

Reply to
dadiOH

The on-off-valve is an old type, probably used in 1965, chrome color with a welded chrome flex tube 6" up. It may not be aluminum, may be chromed plated copper flexible , with ribs on it all the way , allow it to flex. The end of it has a compression female fitting. You cannot find these anymore. The new on-off-valve just have a compression fitting for you to install a steel braised flex hose on it. I cannot tell whether the female fitting is 5/8 or 1/2, too small a close call. How can I tell?

***************** > > I am changing bath sink faucet and toilet. I am confused what I need
Reply to
Philip5malin

Take a picture and post it somewhere--this makes very little sense.

I've been around since well before '65 ( :) ) and _never_ seen a welded tube on a cutoff valve...

You're trying to measure the wrong thing anyway, it seems--the fittings will be for whatever tubing size is, not the threaded portion of the fitting.

Why not simply replace the valve as well if it really is something unique?

But, give a picture for folks to look at and I'd say odds are good you'll get answers. Or, as somebody else said, take the pieces-parts to a plumbing supply house other than the borg and they're bound to fix you up as well...

In regards to the latter, the borgs/Ace/etc. basically only carry common stock that turns over rapidly. The plumbing supply folks will still have stuff for the no-longer-common if indeed that's the case w/ what you have.

--

Reply to
dpb

standard 3/8 chromed supply tube. readily available at any plumbing store, not available at box stores.

Easiest for you to use: the braided line from the box store. You can buy the chromed supply tubes, use 3/8 soft copper, or poly lines.

Reply to
DanG

thank you to all, particular DadiOH. I went to OSH (Orchard Supply Hardware), a box store, better than Home Depot, found an experience plumber salesman. He shows me they still sell those old faucets with 1/4 copper tubing , with 1/2 COMP fitting at end. But they are expensive, at $90. Compare new style at $11. He told me that is one option. Second option is change the Shut off valve to new type, but likely it is all rusted and hard to get one. Third option which he recommended is to use an adapter 1/2 Cmp-1/2 MIP, for $3. I then use standard what I have steel braised 1/2 FIP-1/2 FIP hose to connect from adapter to bottom of faucet. Thank you , guys. Those old style "corrugated chrome flex copper tube welded on shut off valve " was very popular from 1960-1965. because it was first invented flex copper tube, until they came out with soft flex copper tubing.

Reply to
Philip5malin