What size compressor?

Page 2 of 2
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

I decided to check the oil level on the small 4 gal. CH compressor I bought a year ago. I had added about 4 oz. (150ml) a short while ago but today noticed that it was pretty much out of oil. I only use it for tires, cleaning the garage etc.
How much oil do these direct-drive jobbies consume anyway? After all, they don't "burn" oil like gasoline engines do.
Should I just top up with 5W30 synthetic engine oil?

They don't "burn" oil, but they do push some through the rings, especially when they get worn quite a bit.
Use the oil recommended by the manufacturer. Most cases, it is 30 weight.

Mine uses very little..I change it when it gets "dirty" in the sight glass

No they don't

No, use NON-DETERGENT 30 Wt "Compressor oil"..sold as such
Rudy wrote:

Hmmm. Mine didn't last long enough to get dirty. The little bit that's still left in the pan looks clean.

The manual recommends synthetic 5W30, Mobil 1 or Chevron.
When this compressor dies, I'm getting a belt-drive upright on wheels. I guess that's my answer to the title of this thread.
Pat Coghlan wrote:

BTW, I was reading the sight glass wrong. There was "too much" oil in the pan, and the whole sight glass was covered.
I decided to pour some out. Looks like one should pay attention to the manual re: changing oil after first hour or so of use. The oil had lots of tiny black particles in it, presumably filings etc. I emptied as much as I could and refilled to the proper level.

[snip]
I'd go with the second model because of the wheels and telescoping handle. I wouldn't use it to blow dust from my computer keyboard, though. It should handle the light tasks you have in mind, too.
The Ranger