What should I know about concrete ceilings?

Page 2 of 2

I know there was some back and forth on banning asbestos in the late 80's when I was starting out, and I remember it was in the early 90's when they wrote the law. I don't know anything about the OP's building, it's history, what the contractor or supply yard had in stock and was still selling at the time. It's the OP's ass, and the OP's responsibility to cover it. I'm simply saying some guy behind a keyboard telling you, "Yeah, just rip the crap down and don't worry about it" is something to worry about.
βœ–

Absolute nonsense. But what would you expect from our resident loopy limey.

You can be sued for anything but it's going nowhere.

What a dope.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Jul 14, 8:59 am, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

More stellar advice. Now you're suggesting that someone can just ignore it if someone files a suit against them. If you get sued you have to defend it. How is the OP supposed to do that for free? If nothing else it would take up their time, and that's still money anyway you look at it.
It would be best if you just provided bad home repair advice instead of dabbling in bad legal advice.
βœ–

I said nothing wrong. You can be sued for breathing, so you'd better stop.

You're as stupid as the loopy limey.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Jul 14, 9:24 am, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Yes, someone can be sued for anything, but it's way more likely if they violate pertinent laws or regulations - or do something stupid and annoying. It's amazing there's not a AHR class action lawsuit against you. :)~
βœ–

Of course you're wrong, as usual.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Yes, it is a ceiling texture which has enough flat area to show the difference between where the concrete plank is smooth and where it is grouted, especially where the OP wants a "really wide blade" used and a "a little less texture" (i.e. smoother)..
Perhaps you aren't familiar with structural concrete planking floor systems ?.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Don't back peddle too far, you might fall off the edge of your little world.
Add pictures here
βœ–

It would behoove you to not tell people what the 'real' question is. For instance, I question why you are asking a group of random people on the internet what to do about a specific question in a localized place. In the amount of time it took you to write your question you could have called the condo and spoken with the building manager and gotten, ahem, concrete information about the building construction and typical ceiling treatments on the top floor.
The fact that you haven't done that means you are not serious, don't want to get your hand dirty by speaking to a live person that would in fact have a relatively major part to play in your life if you do in fact buy the condo.
Those are my 'real' questions.

If you don't provide info we'll fill in the gaps. That's how it works.

It's not beams, it's most likely precast plank as Evan said. If concrete was poured on a metal deck, you wouldn't see the concrete, all you'd see was the bottom of the corrugated metal deck. And they wouldn't pour concrete on a roof deck unless they were landing helicopters up there.

There is essentially no difference between putting a texture on drywall or on concrete, and you said you've done that before. If there are potential adhesion questions a binder (essentially thinned glue, commonly referred to as milk) is painted onto the surface before the stucco/plaster/popcorn is applied.
Pick up the phone and introduce yourself to the building manager and ask them some questions. Better yet, visit them if at all possible and put your best foot forward. It's a condo and you'd be stoopid to not find out how the building management treats the tenants.
βœ–

Good. I'm glad to hear it.
Condo managment varies greatly. Some are on premises, some are off premises realtors or some such. Some are truly horrendous. If you've waited this long for a phone call, imagine what it would be like to get something done.
Call the building super. He's the guy you'll be dealing with on a more or less daily basis. You might have located a perfect property, but there might be nightmare management. Any part of a nightmare is still a nightmare.
You are not in Pensacola, are you? How far away do you live, and is this going to be the 'vacation' condo?
βœ–

That word - obfuscate - I do not think it means what you think it means.
βœ–

Well, we understood what he intended.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Yes, to obfuscate! ;)
βœ–
On Thursday, July 12, 2012 8:57:56 AM UTC-7, InsaneDIY wrote:

One of the reasons you have a popcorn ceiling is to prevent sounds from reverberating or echoing. I myself find it very annoying when the slightest sounds reflect back and you feel like you’re living in a cave. I would advise that if you remove the popcorn you replace it with something very soft and thick or start hanging tapestries or rugs on your walls like they do in other countries.
Add pictures here
βœ–