What servicing will my heater need after 10 years of non-use?

I haven't used my central heater for about 10 years (been relying on electric space heaters) I already know I have to have a plumber hook up the gas line, but what steps should be taken before firing it up again after so long?

I assume my ducts will need thorough cleaning. What about the heater itself? It can use oil or gas, I used oil before but was in the process of switching to gas when things happened (money ran out etc) I assume it would have to be thoroughly cleaned and checked for safety or any possible leaks.

Any idea what the cost of this gargantuan effort would be? (Would it be cheaper to have a whole new system installed?)

This is a 10x50 mobile home so the duct cleaning would probably fall on the low end of pricing. There may be some holes in some of the ducts. I'm hoping all this can be done for less than $1000

Reply to
Bobbo

Nope. You do not call a plumber for this.

I have never heard of a furnace that can "use oil or gas" it's one or the other...but at any rate, your HVAC contractor will know. They can inspect it and if it's in good condition...hook it up.

Reply to
philo

I've never heard of one that can use either oil or gas either. Regarding the ducts, unless they were already fouled, no reason for them to be fouled from sitting there. But he did say something about there might be holes, in which case, I guess spiders and such could have gotten in, but normal ducts would be fine. Cost? Who knows. Hooking up the gas line could be a 2 ft, 30 min job or a 50 ft headache. Absent the gas line, absent any duct cleaning, I would think a typical service call to check, clean, the furnace would be ~$200.

Reply to
trader_4

I can't imagine electric heaters being cheaper than other fuels. Do you have natural gas available?

The burner and heat exchanger should be cleaned, of course, blower checked and possibly lubricated. Any service tech can do in in an hour or two.

As for replacing, new units are more efficient, but I don't know about the units that are used in trailers.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I was thinking that too. One winter I tried using an electric heater for the room that I'm in most of the time and keeping the heat lower in the rest of the house. My electric bills were substantially higher and the gas bills not all that much lower. And with NG being relatively low cost, I concluded it was probably a wash at best, maybe a net increase in cost. That was for one room. If you have multiple heaters, it's going to be even worse. I decided that even if it does cost a bit more to heat the whole house, it's not worth it. Of course with different fuels and rates, the situation could be different.

Reply to
trader_4

That was my experience too. Some merchandisers have done well promoting those Amish made heater cabinet things as a way to reduce cost.

Right now at 2.60 a gallon and .196 KWH a million btu is $23 for oil versus $57.44 for electric. For anyone interested in doing a compaison:

Next year I'm considering a pellet stove in the family room, not to save money, but to increase comfort in the family room. That room tends to be cooker as it is on the north side and has an 8' slider with a view to the woods. I have a wood stove now, but it has become too much of a PITA dragging in wood.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I just looked at my latest gas bill and my usage for Jan last year was about 27% less than this year. It was 1 deg colder this Jan, but it looks like maybe that electric heater cut the gas bill more than I thought. But still, it amounts to spending $52 more this Jan than last. Factor in that it was 1 deg colder, IDK what difference that makes, but maybe $5? So, the electric heater might be saving $45 in gas, but I think that's about what my electric bill went up. Plus with the gas, the whole house is warm.

That calculator is a good link. For what it's worth, I ran relative numbers for here in NJ:

Electric heat .13 kwh 100% $38 Oil $3 gal 80% $27 Nat gas .96 therm 93% $10

Glad I have gas.....

Reply to
trader_4

About three months ago, I checked on natural gas prices. My market has different suppliers. Wonders, my gas co is higher than the others. The utility won't change until the next meter reading, so I'm still on expensive heat. Reminds me to check and compare every summer. Before heating season.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Hi, Sounds funny disconnecting good working central system and switching to potable heater for 10 years? In the process of converting to use oil? I don't remember ever hearing about dual fuel, oil/gas furnace. Is it oil burning or gas burning now? Duct work may have some holes? Is it rusting? Damaged? Lots of ???!

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi, Our electric power costs 0.079 per Kwh fixed NG per Giga Joule costs ~2.50 variable rate. No oil furnace around here. They do in the East.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Likely been using the .22 to get the 'possums and 'coons put from under the trailer for the last 10 years. How many holes in the trailer itself? For the cost of heating the place with electricity for 1 year he could have put a new gas heat system in. Mabee their's holes somewhere else too? (if he combed his hair differently they might not show?)

Reply to
clare